Aggie art display illustrates reciprocal effects of mentorship

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The Response Art Exhibit focused on the reciprocal relationship between professors and their students by pairing their works side by side.

Through art, Aggies are demonstrating the long-lasting effects that professors have on their students.

The Memorial Student Center Visual Arts Committee (MSC VAC), in collaboration with the Texas A&M College of Architecture, is presenting “Response: Paired works by TAMU College of Architecture artists and their professors.”The exhibition, housed in the Reynolds Gallery on the second floor of the MSC, will be remain open until Sept. 8 and is free for all visitors.

The exhibition features paired works of an artist and professor, presented side-by-side in an effort to showcase the unique professor-student relationship. According to the MSC VAC website, the exhibition is designed not only to show how the artists differ, but also how the artists’ work imitate each other.

Department of Visualization lecturer Glen Vigus is one of the instructors whose work is featured in the exhibition. He said “Response” is an artistic example of the Aggie Network at work.

“Artists are able to make connections through the Aggie Network with other artists who are professors and artists who are students,” Vigus said.

Vigus has two pieces featured in the gallery, “Miranda” and “Aleenah’s Song,” which are paired with two portrait-style photographs by one of his former students.

“They asked us to submit work that mirrored each other,” Vigus said. “The gallery really shows how the faculty member supports and influences the [student’s] style and finding their own voice when it comes to visual expression.”

Vigus worked together with global art and design senior Daniel Zamora. Zamora’s previous professional experience as a national makeup artist allowed him to lend a hand of creative flair to Vigus’ art.

“I worked with Vogue models and national models at national shows and events — meaning high fashion,” Zamora said.

“Starstruck” and “Still, ” the pieces Zamora has paired with his former professor’s work,  are meant to contrast each other not only in name but in mood and expression. Zamora said he uses his experience working with models to evoke and present a deeper connection between the subjects of his photographs and the viewers.

“What really is captivating about a photograph is capturing photos that are just as beautiful as engaging, bringing vulnerabilities and authenticity to participants,” Zamora said.

Both Vigus’ and Zamora’s photographs are displayed side-by-side in the Reynolds Gallery along with pieces by many other Aggie artists.