Aggie Gems and Urgent Animals of Hearne put on third annual ‘Somebunny to Love’ adoption event

Faith
Faith

The third annual “Somebunny to Love” pet adoption event occurred this past weekend and many breeds of dogs came to join in on the spring-themed fun.
On Saturday, April 20, Urgent Animals of Hearne Robertson County and Aggie Gems put on their annual adoption event at The Ranch at Harley Davidson. The event included everything from a bouncy house to a goat wearing bunny ears for people to take photos with.
Donations were welcome at the event, and there were many other beautiful items up for sale, such as painted crosses and other artwork. Many of the proceeds from the event will go towards helping the animals at Urgent get the care they are in need of.
Many of the dogs present were available for adoption and participants had the opportunity to get to know them personally. Each dog up for adoption had their own individual paper on their kennel telling their names and facts about them.
Debbie Fatheree works with Urgent and was in charge of running the event, along with many other volunteers and workers from the rescue center.
“We are a complete volunteer group,” Debbie said about Urgent. “We are not a non-profit organization, we are actually very diverse group of people that came together to help dogs get off of death row,” Fatheree said.
Fatheree said it is a kill facility, but they have not had any kills for space in 72 months. In 2018 alone, the group saved over 339 animals from the facility. She has worked with other members of Urgents to save dogs from being put down and find loving homes for them instead.
The women’s organization, Aggie Gems, has played a big role in facilitating the event for the past few years. Gems were excited to take part in the event again and were all dressed in Somebunny to Love pastel t-shirts.
Interdisciplinary studies junior Ashli Reid is a service co-chair for Aggie Gems. She said Gems sponsors the event for Urgent in order to help animals who are in foster care.
“All the money that we make selling shirts and through this event goes to all of their vet bills,” Reid said. “We have Daisy Dukes Barbeque, we have food trucks come out, we have cupcakes and decorating for cupcakes. The Ranch at Harley Davidson has t-shirts being sold and we also have a bike that will move the gears.”
Business marketing junior Emma Barrett is also a service co-chair for Aggie Gems.
“Big thanks to the Ranch at Harley Davidson for hosting this event this year,” Barrett said. “We’re just happy to be here and hope we can do it again next year.”
Barrett said her favorite part of the event was being able to come and help the animals find good homes and forever families. She said every little bit they made from the event will help with this.