Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

AggieCon 48 to bring nerdiness to B-CS

AggieCon
Photo by Graphic by Sarah Bannon
AggieCon

Get your cosplay outfits and geekiness out because AggieCon 48 quickly approaches. Coming up March 23-26, Texas A&M’s very own AggieCon, affectionately called “conglama-con,” brings together the best of tabletop gaming, cosplay, art shows, panels and more for people of all nerdiness.
AggieCon, originally established back in 1969, remains the country’s oldest, exclusively student-run comic convention. Today, the convention is still run by TAMU’s science-fiction club, Cepheid Variable, who sponsors the entire event. Past AggieCons have brought together big names from across the science-fiction industry, such as George R.R. Martin, the author of Game of Thrones, and Brian Muir, the creator of the Darth Vader and Stormtrooper armor. This year, guests for AggieCon 48 include anime voice actors Aaron Roberts and Aaron Dismuke, as well as the illustrator Martin Whitmore.
As a ComicCon dedicated to “everything nerdy,” AggieCon caters to every type of fan. Mallory Morris, sophomore BIMS major and Guest Relations officer, explains the great diversity of AggieCon and its ability to attract fans from across different interests. 
“At AggieCon, there’s a dealer’s room, which sells nerdy merchandise. Last year, we had the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles taking pictures with people, a replica of Luke’s Speeder and a Stormtrooper. There’s even a huge auditorium with a band or performer who will perform throughout the convention,” Morris said. “Basically, the motto for Cepheid Variable is: ‘If it’s nerdy, we do it.’”
With attendees averaging around 500-600 people per convention, AggieCon allows for a more family-like and welcoming atmosphere, says Elizabeth Hartley, sophomore nukes major and PR officer.
“It’s really worth it because, unlike larger Cons, are guests actively mingle. So you might end up playing D&D or that board game with famous voice actors or authors,” Hartley said. “You get to actually mingle with the guests and talk to them, which is very different from other Cons.”
Pulling from the clas video game, The Legend of Zelda, Cepheid Variable announced this year’s AggieCon theme as “It’s Dangerous To Go Alone,” encouraging students to bring friends and enjoy the convention together. Andrew Hoertt, sophomore Nuclear Genetics major and Director of AggieCon 48, explained the heart behind AggieCon and what he hopes for this year’s convention.
“We are only students and we’re managing this huge event, just for these nerdy interests,” Hoertt said. “People normally associate all these nerdy interests with staying away and staying at home, but we get people out of their homes, we get people socializing.”
This year, in addition to classic convention events, AggieCon has recruited professors and advisors from the English Department to aid in a night dedicated to informing high school students about “How to Pursue Nerdy Careers.” Moreover, the convention will put on their annual Charity Art Auction which will Scotty’s Fund, a charity dedicated to supporting children with life-threatening diseases and their families.
Hoertt hopes that each year the size of AggieCon will continue to grow and encourages people who want to come to pre-register for a chance to win a VIP ticket, which includes exclusive access throughout the convention. Above all, Hoertt says, AggieCon is about bringing people together to celebrate nerdiness.
“AggieCon’s size allows it to be a lot more close-knit and family-feeling,” Hoertt said. “We have various guests from all different walks of life come each year and a couple of professors from A&M that come out and play too. So, don’t be afraid to come out and have a good time. We don’t bite. There are people from all over and they’re all very welcoming.”