Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Aggies await ‘Avengers’

The+Avengers
Photo by By: Frederica Shih
The Avengers

First, the Avengers tackled Loki and his army of Chitauri. Now, in “The Avengers: Age of Ultron,” in theaters this weekend, the Avengers will face artificial intelligence in the form of Ultron as he seeks to wipe out mankind.
And if it’s anything like the first movie, which grossed well more than $600,000,000, plenty of people will see it, including a number of dedicated fans in College Station.
A trailer for the movie hinted at a relationship between the Black Widow, played by Natasha Romanoff, and the Hulk, played by Bruce Banner. This relationship never appeared in the comics, and is causing controversy among fans. 
Jonathan Davis, agribusiness sophomore, said the personalities of Black Widow and Bruce Banner do not line up.
“He has a lot of love for science, and then you look at Black Widow,” Davis said. “She’s more of a darker cloud.”
Juan Carlos Laxa, general studies sophomore and small programs officer of the science fiction and fantasy organization Cepheid Variable, said the relationship could be an interesting balance of trust between the two. 
“She’s a very good spy, so the Incredible Hulk can’t really know when to trust her and trust her word,” Laxa said.
Black Widow’s possible relationships don’t end there. Netflix’s new television show “Daredevil” is the beginning of a next phase of superheroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the comics, Matt Murdock, aka Daredevil, is known not only for his crime-fighting skill in Hell’s Kitchen of New York, but also for having a brief relationship with Black Widow. 
With this universe, Mihir Vashi, aerospace engineering sophomore and Cepheid Variable member, said anything is possible. 
“I just hope they don’t do what Spiderman tried to do,” Vashi said. “Try to have all of these heroes and all of these side stories and it’s going to be too much and they’re not going to go into depth in anything.”
Vashi said the multiple heroes in the 2012 “The Avengers” movie were well-written, with every hero having relevance to the movie. 
Eccles said even Hawkeye was still introduced in a relevant manner, even though he was brainwashed by Loki half the time.
“They brought him further into the story like his skills with a bow and how important he was to S.H.I.E.L.D.,” Eccles said. 
One wrinkle fans await in this weekend’s blockbuster is its implications for future storylines. The accidental creation of Ultron sets the scene for “Captain America: Civil War,” a Marvel film planned for 2016 that will depict a fight between Iron Man and Captain America that creates a further rift in the characters. “Civil War” will argue whether a superhero will have to be licensed with the government to fight crime. 
“Normally they just swoop in, save the day, cause billions of dollars in property damages and then swing out,” said Elliott Eccles, visualization sophomore. “‘Civil War’ is revealing your identity, signing up with the government to legitimately work underneath them, to have training and just be held accountable for their actions.”
Overall, Eccles said“Age of Ultron” might show the characters struggling even harder to work together, as the main enemy was created by one of their own members. 
“They’re more than just superheroes,” Eccles said. “They’re really more individuals trying to find their way, that they’re not perfect. They’re fallible.”