Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

Aggies say working is worthwhile

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Students work part-time in a wide variety of jobs, from retail to mechanics, there’s always a job for someone.

Many Aggies work their way through college taking on the extra stress of working full time or close to it on top of school. Some Aggies even pay for their college expenses completely by themselves.
Despite the added difficulty that comes with balancing work and school, student workers often learn valuable lessons and are better for it.
Management junior Makenzie Beamon currently works as a receptionist at Allen Honda in College Station. She works approximately 28 to 35 hours a week on top of being a full time student.
“[Working] has definitely made me realize the value of money and how to manage my time,” Beamon said. “It’s also taught me to appreciate everything my parents provided for me. I would advise people to get a job in college, especially since it shows you have good time management and discipline on your resume.”
Beamon said having a job in college comes with some pressure, but has probably helped her grades increase because she rarely has extra time to waste. She said that in the future when she has kids, she will likely expect them to help pay for some of their expenses in college as well, but probably not all.
English junior Paige Brazil currently works two jobs on top of school. Brazil works at the retail store Chico’s in town as well as The Bush School of Government and Public Service.
“I think [working] has definitely made me more accountable for my time,” Brazil said. “Before I worked, I would find myself laying around for hours not doing anything and I just wasted that time. Now I feel better about myself. I hate feeling like I’ve wasted my time. My mom used to tell me people who work have better grades, and I never believed her, but it’s true.”
Brazil said working through school has set her up to have independence from her parents when she graduates.
Senior interdisciplinary studies major Naomi Headrick also works at Chico’s as a sales lead. Headrick works up to 28 hours a week.
“When offered the position, I was nervous I would not be able to balance school, organizations, and work,” Headrick said. “However, I am paying my own way through school and knew I could use bigger paychecks. Now that I’ve juggled work for so long, I can’t imagine my life without it. Working so much has made me a more productive person. I am less satisfied with being lazy and am usually always on my feet.”
Headrick said that even though there have been times that her school has suffered due to work, it has helped her maintain a balanced life overall and teach her skills that will carry over into her life after graduation.