Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Anything but anonymous

Reporter Emily Thompson sat down with sociology senior and entrepreneur Becky Bacsik to discuss Bacsik’s magazine, ANON, and her experiences as a student working in the publishing industry.
THE BATTALION: How did your magazine, ANON, begin? Where did you get the inspiration for the idea?
Bacsik: I used to work at Urban Outfitters before college, and I met a lot of people there who dabbled in creative things. That small creative community led to bigger things. Basically in fall of 2011, I came here and realized that wearing the Nike shorts and big shirts just didn’t make me feel like myself. I reverted back to my own style. My friend Zach, who was originally my partner, had a lot of classes with me. He noticed me, and he said we should do something about what it means to fit in. We had a friend who started up a magazine, and so around November of 2011 we said, ‘Let’s do this.’ We posted online, happened to find a photographer. Once we had photos, we set up a website, and then we started getting writers.
THE BATTALION: How did ANON Magazine evolve over time?
Bacsik: It started out as an online publication. We got our LLC within a few months of starting it up. But in order to build up money and a following, we decided to go online first and then go into print when the opportunity became available. We didn’t expect to go into print so soon. I wanted to, but I didn’t think we could. It was this company called Hagger Clothing Company, out of Dallas, who does international sales. I went to their home base in Dallas and they had a vault full of vintage stuff. I got to pick through it, and they wanted me to re-design it however I wanted. Something traditional, but my own style. They liked my designs so much that they created a whole line of skinny suits based on it. In exchange for that, they paid for the magazine to go into print. We would never have had that much money available on our own to come up with a standard-issue magazine.
THE BATTALION: And after that, what did you do for the second issue?
Bacsik: I made friends with a company out of Australia called Indisposable Concept, so our writers and photographers are from all over the world. For the second issue, I partnered with them on the cover. They basically take peoples’ photography, done with disposable cameras, and assemble art galleries and books. They got people to send us their photography, and so our second issue was a DIY, all-film issue. Every single print we do will be in a different format. Originally we did it to save money, but it also keeps people on their toes and things.
THE BATTALION: So what were you originally studying when you came into A&M? Something related to the fashion industry?
Bacsik: I originally was studying forensic science. I love forensic science. It was just that I wanted to still be able to do other things outside my major. I decided to switch to sociology, with a minor in psychology.
THE BATTALION: What do you find rewarding about the entire process?
Bacsik: It’s really cool that so far it’s sparked some kind of emotion in people. One of my teachers in London this summer told me that you want people to either love or hate your work, but not feel indifferent about it, because if they do, that means you didn’t do anything. That’s what I’m always thinking about.