Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

B-CS offers safe-sex services

Sex sells, but contraception does not always follow the same trend.
Contraception, the deliberate prevention of conception or impregnation by the use of various techniques, is often expensive or considered embarrassing sometimes resulting in the lack of people purchasing it. Several locations in College Station are working to make contraception an affordable and accessible product.
Andrea Berrios, junior biology major, said she thinks it is fairly easy to acquire contraception, especially in College Station.
Condoms are free at Beutel, Berrios said. And you can go to the Womens Center at Beutel and they can prescribe hormonal birth control for free. The generic [birth control] pill cost $7 a month without insurance.
The Health Education Center, located in room 159 of the A.P. Beutel Health Center, gives out two to three thousand condoms a semester, which are donated by the Texas Department of Health Services.
Lauren Dorsett, health educator, said there was an even higher demand than what was being distributed.
They are just in a basket on the front desk when you walk in and anyone can walk in and take as many as they need, Dorsett said. I definitely think that if we had more, they would be used. But we put everything we have access to out.
Planned Parenthood, located on East 29th Street in Bryan, gives out condoms and birth control, depending on each specific situation.
Here at our location, we sell condoms $2 by a dozen, which is relatively cheap, said Sandra Gonzalez, external service coordinator of Planned Parenthood. Every case is different, but we will give out free condoms to some people.
Berrios said there are several resources, but even taking free condoms sometimes has an embarrassing stigma attached.
I think what stops people from buying condoms or taking contraceptive is a combination of embarrassment and attitude on campus toward birth control, Berrios said. For the first part, I think people are embarrassed because if you are seen with condoms or birth control people will automatically assume that you are having sex, and for whatever reason that is not something most people will want automatically assumed of them.
Purchasing contraception may be embarrassing to some or feel like an invasion of privacy, but can have a large impact on a persons livelihood.
To get more information, facts and answers about any questions regarding the issue call the Health Education office 979.458.8322 or email [email protected]. Their office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.