Battle of the Bands: Meet the contestants

PROVIDED

“I started off as just an acoustic singer- songwriter, but now it’s a four piece band and each member brings their own style. So it bounces from typical rock to jazz to soul to back to that singer-songwriter roots. It’s very fun, it’s got a wide variety of sounds. I would say my main influence — when it comes to music and guitar stuff, John Mayer was a pretty big inspiration.”

Daniel Gonzalez, lead singer and guitarist

Local sounds of College Station will fill the air by the Jack K. Williams Administration Building Wednesday at the MSC Town Hall Battle of the Bands. Four bands will battle for the judge’s vote and the crowd’s heart alike. A $400 prize will be awarded to the first-place winner and $200 for second place. Each band will play a 15-minute set, after which they will perform an original or cover of a holiday song. Here’s how some of the bands describe themselves. Lexi and the Pipitones, the fourth band competing in the Battle of the Bands, could not be reached for comment.

Compiled by Mason Morgan

• “We’re an indie rock band and have been playing since the winter of 2013. We had always known each other and had been more like acquaintances for some time be- fore actually hanging out together. We no- ticed right off the bat we meshed well as a group and began writing some songs. Very quickly we had about seven songs and we kind of took off from there. We, from the beginning, have been very inspired by David Bazan, Manchester Orchestra and Weezer, which I think will be apparent when you listen to us.”

Josh Willis, lead singer and guitarist

File
  • “We’re really trying to do our own thing. It’s rock music, and it’s still got a lot of funk and groove influences, but everything about this project was an attempt to simplify. All the music we do, we try to eliminate everything that we don’t need to make it a song. So it’s an experiment. We’re doing the kind of music we like to do but in a minimalist sort of way.”

Travis Knight, drummer