Best Gifts to receive on Valentine’s Day

Photo by Photo by Brandon Holmes

Kinesiology sophomore Kaylee Trotter and International Studies sophomore Ryan Sullivan exchange Valentine’s Day gifts.

Between the chocolate dipped strawberries and the human sized stuffed animals, Aggies offer advice on some of the best gifts to give on Valentines Day.
According to the National Retail Federation, Americans are expected to spend a record-breaking $19.6 billion on Valentine’s Day, a significant increase from last year’s $18.2 billion. While most Americans will shower their loved-ones with candy this year, spending a total of $1.8 billion, NRF states most U.S. consumers will spend their money on jewelry for their loved ones — $4.7 million to be exact.
With a day left to pick out the perfect gift for significant others, Everness Evangelista, accounting graduate student, said students should not have to break the bank in order to give a meaningful gift.
“The best gift to give a significant other doesn’t have to be extravagant,” Evangelista said. “It could be a small and simple gift that ties into something the other person has mentioned previously in a passing conversation. That would show that you care, love and really try to understand that person. But, just for laughs, ideally surprising them in lingerie is the best gift you can give in my opinion.”
As the NRF reports, 46 percent of Americans will spend $894 million on greeting cards, Abby Fontenot, biomedical sciences junior, said there are other simple ways to make your loved-one happy.
“I think that the best present to always give is something that is meaningful,” Fontenot said. “It is better to be thoughtful, rather than extravagant. So, flowers are always nice.”
Instead of spending loads of money on one person, Georgia Sides, interdisciplinary studies junior, said students should invest in a gift both people will like.
“A great gift to get your partner for Valentine’s day is a couples massage,” Sides said. “It’s great because its something that you wouldn’t have to buy for yourself, but both of y’all can enjoy it.”
Some students, such as Meaghan Maier, political science junior, don’t see the true value in spending lots of money on your significant other. Maier said the best thing you can give the person you love is quality time.
“I just don’t really think that giving people things is very important on Valentine’s Day,” Maier said. “I just think it’s important to spend time with the person that you love, anybody that you love. Whatever you can buy in the store is not as valuable as the time you can give with someone.”
Brett McCraw, political science sophomore, said he advises students to stay away from the basic Valentines Day gifts and spoil your loved one with an unforgettable present.
“When it comes to buying your significant other a gift, the best thing you want to do is give them something that they won’t expect,” Mccraw said. “I don’t mean like flowers or chocolates, they don’t mean anything. You give them something that maybe relates to a hobby they really care about, something they are really passionate about, something that they would like, it’s not really about how much it costs, it’s just something that they actually care about.”

• A good Valentine’s Day gift doesn’t have to break the bank.

Photo by Photo by Brandon Holmes