Celebrating the holidays in Aggieland

Photo by FILE

Holiday activities in the Bryan-College Station area include a holiday themed First Friday and multiple parades to kick off the holiday season in Aggieland. 

As the holidays approach, many students are looking for ways to celebrate their time off from classes and enjoy the Christmas spirit without breaking the bank. Fortunately, Bryan-College Station hosts many events to make Aggie spirits bright.
Swipe Out Hunger
The holiday season is a great time to give back. Swipe Out Hunger allows students with dining plans to donate meal trades at Sbisa and the Commons from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today to help other students in need. Kinesiology senior Megan Ford is a member of the 12th Can food pantry, which puts on the event.
“People are in need at all times of year, but the holidays can be an extra stress on people,” Ford said.
According to Ford, the Swipe Out Hunger campaign started last fall and donations were distributed in the spring of 2018. Last year, the group’s goal of raising 1,500 meals was met in only three days and the donated meals were reallocated to students in need. The students can simply swipe their ID as if they had purchased a meal plan.
Bryan-College Station Christmas Parade
Taking place Dec. 2 at 2 p.m., the Bryan-College Station Christmas parade is a can’t-miss holiday event. Missy Pollard grew up participating in the parade and is now part of the College Station Parade committee.
“The theme this year is Christmas around the world, so I’m really excited to see the diversity that’s going to bring,” Pollard said. “The look on kids’ faces as they see Santa come down Texas Avenue is just amazing.”
Unlike the downtown parade, the Bryan-College Station Parade begins on University Drive and travels down Texas Avenue. According to Pollard, spectators should arrive early as streets will close for the parade at 1 p.m.
“I just think it’s one of the biggest community events that spreads across Bryan and College Station,” Pollard said. “I think it would help a student just connect with the actual local community.”
December First Friday
A popular destination throughout the year, downtown Bryan hosts some of the area’s biggest holiday events.
Katelyn Brown is the events coordinator at the Downtown Bryan Association, who is responsible for planning First Friday. According to Brown, December’s First Friday is one event that will get community members in the holiday spirit.
“We have quite a few of our holiday events that make the season really magical,” Brown said. “Whether you’re from this area or not, it’s very easy to just feel very welcome and want to continue to comeback to downtown Bryan over and over again because of the atmosphere down here.”
The event will include live music at the Palace Theater, and members of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band are also scheduled to perform.
Lighted Christmas Parade
Downtown Bryan will also host the Lighted Christmas Parade. Beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 14, the parade will travel from 24th and Bryan Street down Main Street.
“Of the two parades in our area, it’s the lighted Christmas parade at night which is a little bit magical with all the lights that we have on our buildings,” Brown said.
Many local businesses will be open late for the event.
“What’s so special is that you know whether you are from this area or not you can find so many great holiday gifts,” Brown said. “They are all locally owned, so when you go into those stores, you’re directly talking to the owners.”