No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Cinderella’s lovely nights in Aggieland

The classic fairytale was presented by MSC OPAS at Rudder Auditorium Tuesday and Wednesday evening. 

Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” made its way to Aggieland, leaving audiences with themes of kindness, generosity and possibility.
On Jan. 23 and 24, the touring Broadway cast of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” performed at 7:30 p.m. in Rudder Theatre. The performances were hosted by MSC OPAS as part of their 2017-2018 season. Former students, current students and local families were in attendance, with many young girls donning their best princess dresses.
The musical, originally written in 1957 by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, tells the story of Ella, a girl who teaches a kingdom about kindness. The show won a Tony Award for Best Costume Design in 2013. According to several OPAS members, the show had a perfect balance of magic and relatable characters. Madison Hughes, OPAS director-at-large, said the show was the best of the season.
“We loved the sets, the changes and the magic,” Hughes said. “I could see myself in a lot of those roles. Even the stepsisters and stepmother at some points. It was amazing.”
The show begins dramatic action scene, when Prince Topher slays a beast and ironically comments “I just wish I was doing something more important with my life.”
Because of the witty jokes and humor, “Cinderella” was a hit, even with audience members who typically don’t enjoy theatre. Brady Walding, Class of 2017, said he was surprised by how much he liked the performance.
“I don’t ever go to theatre performances, but I actually liked this one quite a bit,” Walding said. “I thought it was really funny. I didn’t expect this show to have the comedic element that it did. It was enjoyable the whole time.”
The musical frequently discussed themes of kindness and possibility, ensuring those ideas stayed in the minds of the audience.
OPAS members said they were happy to assist in bringing such an incredible show to the university. Hannah Stacey, industrial distribution senior, said she liked the different perspective the show presented.
“Everybody has heard the name ‘Cinderella,’” Stacey said. “It’s a story we’ve all grown up with. But you can’t tell me that’s the same story we’ve all seen before. It brought people in because of the name, but it had different themes, especially genuine kindness and being comfortable in your own skin.”
Hughes said the themes of the show were really important and she hopes they will stay with audience members for a long time.
“It reinforces the kindness theme,” Hughes said. “In today’s society, we really need genuine kindness. I hope that resonates, especially with the young girls here.”