Coffee for a community

Photo by Photo by Laura Haslam

In addition to offering coffee, P.O.V. serves grab-and-go lunches, cheeses, wine and beer. 

Wednesday, Sept. 6, P.O.V. coffee house made its debut in the Bryan-College Station area and completed its first day of business. Located in the Lake Walk Town Center P.O.V. incorporates high windows and simple decor for an airy, modern atmosphere.
Peggy Trott, general manager of the property, said the proposed idea for the property was to build a Starbucks branch. However, Trott and her team had larger aspirations and said the desire is for the coffee shop to become a place where guests can share their points of view and feel welcomed.
“We want to make P.O.V. a gathering place for people who live within two to three miles,” Trott said. “This is their home. If you’re a mom [with] a stroller, you can stop in. If you’re in business, on your way to work, stop by. If you need a place to grab something quick, you can come in and grab lunch. Even if you need a place to sit down, curl up with a book, study, or have a meeting.”
Along with beverage options, P.O.V. offers freshly baked breakfast items, including their signature sticky bun, salads and sandwiches. In line with their regional focus, Trott said finding the right coffee supplier was vital.
“We had to look for someone who was really passionate about coffee,” Trott said. “That’s why we went with [Merit Roasting Co.] out of San Antonio. They have ties to our area because the owner is a former student from A&M. Everything comes as a full bean and is ground here. The beans don’t sit on the shelf longer than three weeks. It’s truly a fresh cup of coffee every time.”
College Station native Lauren Allen has been working for the company since July, and said she wants every customer to experience the perfect cup of coffee, however that looks like for each individual.
“Having everything locally sourced gives us the point of view of the community,” Allen said. “For example, our cups feature William Joel Bryan, who is the namesake of Bryan, Texas. We have another with James Earl Rudder, and other important figures in the community. It reflects the culture of our place.”
Sociology senior Melanie Bell said she discovered P.O.V. when a friend posted a photo to social media from the location. After noticing that it was in close proximity to her apartment complex, Bell decided to try P.O.V. out as a study spot.
“It isn’t too expensive, and they have all the basics,” Bell said. “The internet is working really well. It’s not too loud, which is good. It’s very modern and industrial. It’s just very calming and there isn’t too much going on, so you aren’t distracted.”
Aaron Taylor, P.O.V. employee and Blinn College student, said he has had an interest in coffee from a young age as he grew up watching his parents drink it every morning.
“Coffee is my passion,” Taylor said. “I worked at Starbucks for about two years, so having the opportunity to work at a place that’s just opening, I couldn’t pass it up. Coffee has the ability to actually keep you going through the day, especially in college.”
Trott said both customer service and creating a sense of community are the central values for the coffee house.
“We want it to be a great experience,” Trott said. “You’re not going to be a number when you come in. We understand that there needs to be speed of service, but there’s also got to be an emotional connection with the service. We’re going to be that, and we’re going to be the place where you can sit down and people will know who you are.”

• The natural, open environment of the new POV coffee shop encourages passerby’s to come in, enjoy a drink, and utilize the complimentary wifi. 

Photo by Photo by Laura Haslam