College Station prepares for 80th anniversary festivities next week

The City of College Station is set to celebrate its 80th anniversary on Oct. 21 at Richard Carter Park, the original homesite of one of the first settlers of the town.
There will be booths and activities for attendees with information regarding College Station’s history, environment and culture. Organizations contributing to the cele- bration include the Historic Preservation Committee, A&M Garden Club, La Villi- ta Daughters of the American Revolution, Monarch Gateway, Brazos Valley Master Naturalists and the Children’s Museum of the Brazos Valley.
Gerald Burgner, chair of the Historic Preservation Committee, said his committee took part in initiating the celebration and hopes there will be similar events in the future.
“Our role was to get it started,” Burgner said. “The Historic Preservation Committee are the ones who came up with the idea. We did the 75th anniversary five years ago.”
Burgner said he hopes the celebration can become either an annual event or be hosted every five years. Burgner said he encourages the public to come out and enjoy the festivities.
The event presents a unique opportunity for local organizations to come together, said Jane Cohen, coordinator of the celebration.
“Several groups will have historic information, and [the event] is at the homesite of the earliest settler, Richard Carter,” Cohen said. “We do have a descendant of the Carter family [who will be attending.]”

Cohen said there will be many activities to celebrate the city of College Station, in- cluding a table presenting Native American legends about the local plant life, a map of monarch butterfly migration and a craft table where the Children’s Museum will help 
children make Native American dolls.
Andrea Howard, chapter secretary for the Master Naturalists, said she is excited for the group to take part in the event. The Naturalists will have a booth focusing primarily on urban wildlife.
“The 80th-year anniversary will be an event where we are likely to educate the public on natural topics,” Howard said.
The celebration will be free and open to the public. Cohen said many students from Texas A&M will serve as guides throughout the event.