Creating a global experience

Study+Abroad
Study Abroad

With various trips offered through the Study Abroad Office, students have the opportunity to enhance their education and experience a diversity of cultures.
In a study conducted by the Institute of International Education in November, Texas A&M was announced the #1 public university for number of students studying abroad. Between the faculty led trips and field trips only, this spring semester has over 30 study abroad programs to offer Texas A&M students.
Katy Lane, associate director of the Study Abroad Programs, said she loves to see more Aggies study abroad. Through faculty led trips, internships and various exchange programs, Lane said the university has a lot of options for students to choose from.
“We really encourage students to [study abroad],” Lane said. “It allows for them to get a different perspective and understand more about another country and culture but also get a new perspective on the United States.”
Lane said her study abroad experience during her undergraduate time at A&M is what led her to work in the international field.
“[Students] can interact with people from different ways of life,” Lane said. “There is so much to value in getting them to step outside and see different businesses, community organizations or the way that healthcare looks. They become so much more of a well-rounded individual … it’s a very transformative experience.”
Communications senior Elizabeth Schulze recalls her time studying in Italy last spring. Schulze said she enjoyed exploring the small town of Castellano Valentino and getting to know the people. Although finding her way through a foreign country was a challenge, Schulze said studying abroad helps students learn how to become good travelers.
“I think the most challenging but rewarding things is you really get to know how to travel,” Schulze said. “You learn how to manage your time, how to do transportation somewhere that you are unfamiliar with, you learn how to respectfully communicate with other cultures. You really do learn a lot about like how to travel so that was something that was really rewarding.”
Accounting junior Kate Henderson went on a seven-week trip to London last summer for an internship. She worked for a small consulting firm, participating in an accounting project for a new restaurant in the city. While the internship was her main reason for going abroad, she said that some of her simplest days were the best ones.
“London is a beautiful combination of incredible history mixed with some of the best modern architecture,” Henderson said. “It’s pretty striking walking down the street, there isn’t history like that in Texas. Going abroad in college is so important. We live in such a globalized world. Not only did I get a hands-on experience, but I was able to learn about the country itself and how everyday management and businesses function.”
Lane said studying abroad was a very impactful trip for her and something that is heavily encouraged for all students, regardless of major.
“Study abroad is for everyone, not just those studying languages or international studies,” Lane said. “We are happy to find programs that fit every students’ interests.”