Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Dancing with the politician

Photo by By Jacob Martindale

Former Texas governor Rick Perry will compete in season 23 of ABC’s ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ 

Rick Perry, Class of 1972, has had many titles in his day — Yell Leader, Texas Governor, two-time Republican presidential candidate hopeful, and now contestant on “Dancing with the Stars.”
On Tuesday, “Dancing with the Stars,” a dance competition show that pairs celebrities with professional dancers, released the lineup for their season 23 cast. Other notable members of the star-studded cast are olympians Laurie Hernandez and Ryan Lochte, rapper Vanilla Ice and actor Jake T. Austin of Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place. 
Chairman for College Republicans David Isenhour, petroleum engineering junior, said although it’s interesting for politicians to compete on the show, it has been done before. Former representative Tom DeLay of Texas competed on the show in 2009. Isenhour said Perry plans on using his time on “Dancing With the Stars” to be an advocate for veterans.
“[Perry] sent out a tweet [saying] that the primary reason he’s doing it is to help raise awareness of our nation’s veterans and to raise awareness of the issues of veteran affairs,” Isenhour said.
Lucas Fernandez, chemical engineering junior and president of Texas Aggie Democrats, said while he’s doubtful that Perry would be able to compete against his athletic and young competitors, he is much more interested in Perry’s recent backing of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s construction of a wall between the United States and Mexico.
“I just really wouldn’t picture Rick Perry doing the Salsa or the Samba. Maybe the Texas Two-Step,” Fernandez said. “I just never thought of Rick Perry as a dancer. I think he wants to continue staying in the international picture because he ran for president in 2016 and bowed out early on. I really think it’s about keeping his image fresh in the voters’ minds. I don’t think ‘Dancing With the Stars’ will really help him in terms of politics.” 
Perry will be dancing alongside professional partner Emma Slater. 
Season 23 of “Dancing with the Stars” will premiere at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 on ABC.