From page to stage

Photo by Courtesy

The classic children’s book “Miss Nelson is Missing” will make a live theatre stop by campus Saturday afternoon with MSC OPAS.

The classic children’s book “Miss Nelson is Missing” will come to life on campus Saturday afternoon.
The company Theatreworks USA will perform an hour-long, live-performance adaptation of the book in Rudder Theatre this weekend in association with the MSC OPAS JR series.
Theatreworks USA was founded in 1961 and since then has put on shows across the United States and Canada. Rob Barron, director of the play, said he has worked in the theatre business — and with Theatreworks specifically — for years. Barron said most of his work is inspired by his children. His own theatre company Two Beans is named after them and the idea to put on “Miss Nelson is Missing” came from them as well.
“My wife and I were brainstorming shows one night, and decided to go look at our daughter’s bookshelf just to see what was there,” Barron said. “We thought ‘Miss Nelson is Missing’ was a great title, and it turned out there was a play adaptation of it.”
Barron said this production is fun to put on and has a rewarding outcome.
“The cast all have great attitudes and experience,” Barron said. “It’s crucial to be able to bring theatre to audiences. It evokes imagination and is all about storytelling. And I love the fact that this is a book that a lot of the kids know — it’s good for them to see something that they’ve already read.”
Two performances will be held in Rudder Theatre at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Tickets are on sale for $22 at the MSC Box Office.