Hidden gems of the library

Photo by Photo by Cristian Aguirre

Texas A&M’s library system underwent transformations this summer to help accommodate its growing student body.

The new semester finds Texas A&M’s library system enhanced and improved, with renovations ranging from a newly browsable media collection to a more spacious writing center. In addition, the start of the semester introduces the rigors of academic life and the A&M library system offers many services to aid student’s academic needs.
Here are a few library services that you may not know about:
Media and Reserves
Need to see a movie for a class? Or looking for something to kick back to on a Saturday night? Fear not. In the Media & Reserves section of the Annex, you can check out DVDs and Blu-Rays, each for a period of one week. The collection is comprehensive— from the latest Pixar movies, to Charlie Chaplin classics, to every season of “The Office,” Media & Reserves has it all. Conveniently located on the first floor of the Annex, all it takes is a quick browse and checkout and you are on your way.
Media & Reserves also lets you check out a variety of useful equipment for a few hours at a time. Forget a phone charger? Need a voice recorder for a project? Media & Reserves once again has you covered. Other items available for varying rental periods include DSLR cameras, projectors, tablets and even certain textbooks for four hour increments.
Blinn student Shahrukh Niazi said this is an important resource for students, especially those who aren’t required to read the full textbook.
“I feel like a lot of people buy textbooks when they only need to read a few chapters at a time and they don’t know you can you just check them out from the Annex,” Niazi said.
Get It For Me
Evans Library seems to have everything, but if you cannot find what you need, they can get it for you. Through “Get It For Me,” students can request any book or journal they want, and if the library doesn’t have it, they will borrow it from another university’s library. Just access it through the library’s website, fill out a form and you’re all set. Remember, books borrowed from other libraries may be due sooner than books from A&M’s.
Find My Librarian
Patrick Zinn, the library system’s director of marketing and communications, said he thinks the most underutilized service the library provides is access to specialized librarians.
“I think that’s the one service that is not utilized as much as possible, access to people who can help them research, especially our subject specialists,” Zinn said.
The library system employs dozens of specialists, each specializing in specific fields such as copyright, gender studies and accounting, among others.
“They’re able to provide incredibly focused research and basically help students understand which resources are most valuable,” Zinn said.
To find your librarian, use the “Find My Librarian” feature through the library system’s website.
Kanopy Streaming
One of the coolest and most obscure services that the library provides is access to Kanopy Streaming. Kanopy can be most easily described as a Netflix for universities. On Kanopy, you can browse a variety of media, including foreign films from festivals all over the world, obscure documentaries and a host of instructional videos.
Some of the highlights include a bevy of the Criterion Collection’s classic films, art films and Ken Burns’ PBS documentaries on American history.
Study Room Reservations
Study rooms are available for reservations in Evans Library, the Annex, the West Campus Library and the Medical Sciences Library. Whether you want an individual room, windowless and free from distraction, or a conference room for working on a group project, the library system has you covered. All you have to do is go online to the “Study Spaces” section of the library’s website and select a room.
University Writing Center
The University Writing Center is the go-to resource for help on anything writing related. If you need help writing a research paper, formatting a resume or rehearsing a group presentation, you can count on the writing center to help you out. Now located on the first floor of Evans Library, the writing center is more accessible than ever. Appointments can be made at writingcenter.tamu.edu.
Animal science junior Misty Martin said that she has used the University Writing Center for Animal Science Reproduction research papers.
“Everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly,” Martin said. “The student who helped me was very understanding and helpful.”
Bike Desks
There are bike desks in the library that were installed last month. With these desks, students can now increase productivity by exercising while they study. These can be found at Evans, the West Campus Library and the Medical Sciences Library.
Whether you’re looking for a book, perfecting a resume or needing a safe haven from a tiring day, the A&M library system provides services to effectively serve students in all of their academic endeavors.