Hindsight is 2020

Photo by By Rachel Grant

10,468 freshmen entered Texas A&M’s campus in fall of 2015.

“Study hard!”, “Have fun!”, “Call your mother!” — these are some of the phrases students entering their first year of college may hear on a regular basis. But some students soon find the first year is more than studying, having fun and keeping in touch with parents.
Coming from a small town, Karter Ford, engineering freshman, said he struggled with adjusting to life in College Station.
“The one thing I’m having issues with is getting adjusted on such a big campus because I come from a small town,” Ford said.
Technology management freshman Aaron Smith said learning time management skills is one of the things a freshman can struggle with.
“There’s so much stuff to do I’m not really ever in my dorm,” Smith said. “There’s so much distraction; time management is hard for me.” 
Alyssa Winborne, two time Fish Camp counselor and animal science senior, said she believes being a freshman is a time for socializing.
“The friends, connections, relationships and networking you gain are a critical foundation for next four years,” Winborne said. “In my first two years I met the people I know will be my friends for life. My friends are my family away from family … Have confidence in yourself and in your abilities to go out of your comfort zone and try new things.”
Winborne said she also believes college is more than test grades and statistics.
“It’s important to make sure you take care of your academic career, but there’s way more to college than that,” Winborne said. “My experiences have developed me into a better person. I’ve learned to love community service and that’s become a part of me.”
Samantha Janes, English junior, said in her experience, having the confidence to meet new people is key to finding a place on campus.
“Don’t be afraid of people,” Janes said. “Just talk to them in class and they can turn into great friends. Also, walk your schedule before class.”
Others believe joining organizations can be beneficial in many ways, but Gena Markantonis, chemical engineering junior and member of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), said it’s important that freshmen don’t spread themselves too thin.
“I joined way too many my freshman year; it was just overwhelming,” Markantonis said.
Jeff Seale, Class of 1995 and four-time Fish Camp counselor,  said he loved his time at Texas A&M so much that he made the decision to stay on campus another year.
“Be a fish. You think it’s all about being an upperclassman, but really everything at this university is about you. Everything is for you. Don’t rush trying to be older,” Seale said. “You are who you surround yourself with, so surround yourself with happy people.”