Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Kinky Boots comes to College Station

The cast from the Tony Award-winning musical, Kinky Boots, performed in Rudder Auditorium on September 26th and 27th. 

Kinky Boots took the stage in College Station at Rudder Auditorium for a two night showing last week that brought in packed audiences from all over the community.
Inspired by true events, the 2013 Tony Award winner for Best Musical Kinky Boots revolves around a shoemaker’s son Charlie Price, a spunky stage performer named Lola and a journey of self-discovery.
Daniel Joseph Baker, a swing dancer and Lola understudy for the traveling musical, said he wanted to be in the production because he related to the message of the show.
“I personally relate to the story of Kinky Boots,” Baker said. “I’ve wanted to dress up and perform from a young age and I’ve always felt like I don’t fit in. Kinky Boots promotes self acceptance and celebration of differences. From the moment I saw this show, I knew I wanted to be a part of it someday and just be who I am, as it is so beautifully put in the Finale of our show.”
Baker said he wants the audience to be thinking they are perfect exactly the way they are.
“I want them to feel more accepting of a person or group they never thought they would,” Baker said. “My favorite part of this journey has been traveling the country, spreading the message of the show.”
Baker said the most challenging part about bringing the script to life was trying to do justice to the Tony-winning script the Broadway Legend Harvey Fierstein wrote.
“Kinky Boots is a multi-layered story with many emotional nuances you want to ensure you capture for the audience,” Baker said.
Baker said he is excited for the challenge of being a Swing and Lola understudy on Kinky Boots.
“As a Swing, I don’t perform in the show every night,” said Baker. “I am backstage waiting to go on at a moment’s notice in case of another actor’s illness, injury, etc. My job, by definition, is the ability to do it all and that’s what makes it unique. I have a total of 11 ensemble parts I am responsible for, plus the lead role of Lola. I have to know the entire show and be ready to perform any of these parts at a moment’s notice.”
Mechanical engineering junior Kathryn Hall attended Tuesday night’s performance and said she believed A&M chose a great show to host on campus.
“I think the message would be, ‘Be who you want to be, and that is to be yourself,’” Hall said. “The show really talks about how you don’t let other people dictate what to do with your life.”
Computer engineering junior Aaron Whitehead, also attended the Tuesday night performance and said the production was an interesting show to find in College Station.
“I think that A&M is a very conservative school and this is a very wide open show,” Whitehead said. “I think it’s great that students can be exposed to this kind of thing. I think it tells you that you are not always going to live up to other people’s expectations but it’s more about living up to your expectations.”

• The cast from the Tony Award-winning musical, Kinky Boots, performed in Rudder Auditorium on September 26th and 27th.