Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Midnight Yell to debut Kyle Field

FILE
Photo by File
FILE

The opening home weekend will get a loud welcome Friday with a pair of traditional yell practices.
First Yell will be at Reed Arena and Midnight Yell will allow fans first access to the new-look Kyle Field.
“I think the Midnight Yell is one of the great, unique, college football experiences,” said Bill Youngkin, Class of 1969 and former yell leader. “I don’t care where it’s located — the new Kyle Field, the old Kyle Field — it’s just a super special event.”
Zachary Lawrence, junior yell leader, said his favorite part of Midnight Yell is seeing the support from current and former students and the anticipation it always builds before the game.
“Having a big chunk of the student body there to support the Aggies that you know are going to be there tomorrow for the game — it’s really fun to fire up the crowd,” Lawrence said.
Youngkin said his Midnight Yell experiences were positively overwhelming.
“I just sat there in amazement when three levels of the east side just fill up, and I’m thinking there’s tons of places that would love to have this crowd at their game and we have it at midnight yell practice,” Youngkin said.
Due to Kyle Field renovations and time restrictions, First Yell will be held in Reed Arena. First Yell has been a tradition for 15 years and was created by Yell Leaders.
“The purpose of First Yell is to assist and provide financial support for the current Yell Leaders,” said Richard Biondi, executive director of the Association of Former Yell Leaders.
This year, the First Yell theme is “Dance Hall Legends,” with performers such as Johnny Bush, Gary P. Nunn, Joe Ely, Roger Creager and Max Stalling.
“We’re going to have a dance floor at Reed Arena and people will have an option of coming down to the dance floor and dancing to country and western music,” Biondi said.
Biondi said he expects about 2,500 to 3,000 people to attend.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for people to come out and support the Yell Leaders and hopefully raise enough money to provide some support for them this year,” Biondi said.
First Yell will end at 11 p.m. in time for Midnight Yell.