MSC Town Hall preps for ‘The 12th Jam’

Photo by Graphic by: Sydney Farris

After the MSC announced it would allocate $200,000 of extra funding to student organizations this year to those who met certain criteria, MSC Town Hall will use the extra money to host a free music festival on campus known as The 12th Jam.

An MSC organization will bring live music to students during the week of finals with The 12th Jam, an on-campus festival.

MSC Town Hall, an organization that brings entertainment to campus throughout the academic year, has brought several notable performers to campus in the past, including comedian Kevin Hart, “Twenty One Pilots” and Ben Rector. The organization announced that “Cherub” will be the headliner for the upcoming festival, which is set to take place on the Architecture Quad on April 30 from 4 to 10 p.m., just before finals. 

The festival has been in the works for some time. Before getting the festival approved in December, Brandon Castro, chair for MSC Town Hall and electrical engineering senior, said the organization had to present the MSC with a detailed proposal for the festival. 

“We met the criteria [the MSC was ] looking for, and were awarded a portion of the funds to throw our concert,” said Castro. “From there we spoke to dozens of different people all over campus to gather the needed approvals while simultaneously researching and putting out offers for the talent we wanted to feature,” 

Castro said the idea of a free music festival has been in the works for quite some time — the organization just never had the money until now. 

“A festival has always been something that the team wants to achieve, and something always slips through our fingers,” Castro said. “The monetary needs and logistics have always been too much to handle among our other concerts.”

The setup of the Liberal Arts Field will accommodate headliners and smaller performers with multiple stages, said Abby Rodgers, recreation and parks tourism sciences sophomore and large scale events executive for MSC Town Hall. 

“There will be two stages on the field, the main stage for the larger performers and the small stage for the student performers,” Rodgers said. “The main stage is on the Liberal Arts patio and the small stage will be on the side of the field. There will also be activities and food trucks at the opposite end of the field near the Administrations Building.” 

Rodgers said the festival is a great opportunity to see free entertainment that they would not get a chance to see otherwise and to relax before final exams begin.