New cocoon-like structures grace ‘Artfill’

Art+Fill
Photo by Valerie Gunchick
Art Fill

Suspended from metal cubes in northern Downtown Bryan hang two chrysalises. In daylight, bright colored hues are displayed on geometric panels. When night falls, the sculptures come alive with different shades of darker greens, blues and purples.  

The two chrysalises are the newest addition to Artfill, the community art display in Downtown Bryan. The art installation, “Chrysalis 1 and 2,” was created by Indianapolis residents Quincy Owens and Luke Crawley and was unveiled Aug. 7. While the artists themselves are from a different state, the display includes an audio piece featuring a song from the spring performance of Milam Elementary’s choir in Bryan, Texas. 

Crawley distorted the choir music in order to create a more abstract sound. Additionally, audio recordings of frogs from a park in Indianapolis were utilized in the piece. Crawley said the distorted, abstract sound follows the chrysalises’ pattern of metamorphosis.  

The artists supplemented the choir with various other recordings. Owens said they targeted sounds that go unnoticed, including the sound of tobacco worm larvae hatching from their cocoons. 

“We actually get to record a lot of interesting sounds that most people take for granted on a daily basis or overlook or might not even realize make a sound,” Owens said. “Almost everything makes a sound.”

The still-standing chrysalises constantly shift colors at night due to the LED spotlights. The constant shift in colors along with the distorted sound piece creates the idea of metamorphosis. The structures hang suspended in one place while the audio aspects create movement.

Because the colors vary so drastically from day to night, an opportunity is created for two different experiences. Owens said his history as a painter influenced this change.

“You don’t get to see the work in the dark once the gallery closes,” Owens said. “The work kind of dies and sort of sleeps.”

Owens’ education in fine arts at the University of Indianapolis contrasts with Crawley’s study in physics, music and religious studies with a Masters in physics from Ball State University. The two came together at Heron High School in Indianapolis where both artists worked as teachers, albeit in different subjects — Owens taught art while Crawley taught science. With Owen’s visual history and Crawley’s sound art experience, Owens said the piece is dynamic.

“We’re trying to just really push ourselves to make art that’s whole,” Owens said.