New paths at Texas A&M

Photo by Courtesy

Texas A&M’s Department of Anthropology and Department of Nutrition and Food science are offering new Bachelor’s degrees.

Two new degrees programs are opening doors for students to explore the modern food industry or take a technical approach to the study of humanity.
Beginning this fall semester, the department of anthropology brought in a official Bachelor of Science in anthropology and the department of nutrition and food science introduced a food system industry management degree to give students more options in their respective fields.
Poppy Capehart, academic program coordinator and senior academic advisor II for the department of nutrition and food science, said food system industry management (FSIM) is a joint effort of the departments of nutrition and food science, agricultural engineering and agricultural economics.
“By applying science, engineering and economics to food manufacturing and distribution, FSIM graduates will fill a critical gap in the food industry,” Capehart said.
The new Bachelor of Science program, offered in College Station and McAllen, Texas, teaches students supply chain management, practices for food safety and technical business skills.
“We began this degree not only on the Main Campus at TAMU, but it began concurrently in our brand new McAllen Campus of TAMU,” Capehart said. “We have students enrolled there as well as here in the new program and it looks as if the sky is the limit for graduates from FSIM.”
In addition to their existing Bachelor of Arts degree program, the department of anthropology will now offer students the option to earn a Bachelor of Science in anthropology. Department head Cynthia Werner said the new degree offering reflects changes in the study of anthropology over the years.
“This new program recognizes that the field of anthropology has become increasingly scientific with the development and applications of new technologies,” Werner said. “The program will provide anthropology majors with the opportunity to develop a stronger background in the sciences and to master scientific analytical skills within anthropology in preparation for relevant professional careers.”
Students will have the opportunity to take classes in areas such as genetic anthropology, bioarchaeology, paleoanthropology, medical anthropology and conservation studies.
The program is a great fit for students interested in the medical field because it combines the humanity of anthropology with modern science according to Marco Valadez, senior academic advisor II for the department of anthropology.
“Of course any major can lead to a professional health program, but few can help a student learn so much about how to connect to the patients and their culture as anthropology does,” Valadez said.
Students pursuing the new anthropology degree will dig deeper into the department’s array of science and technology-focused courses, Valadez said.
“We feel that this degree will be of special interest to those in science or engineering who are looking to make a change either to a new program or by adding a double major,” Valadez said.
All prospective or current students interested in food systems industry management should contact [email protected] or call to schedule an appointment for more information at 979-845-2142.
Those interested in a Bachelor of Science in anthropology can contact Marco Valadez at [email protected].