No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

On-campus vegan options

vegan graphic
Photo by Graphic by Rachel Grant
vegan graphic

Vegetarian and vegan diets could be somewhat restrictive when it comes to dining on-campus, but Texas A&M has options available to accommodate these diets.
Megyn Schweitzer, psychology freshman, said all the dining halls on campus have options for vegans.
“Four places that specifically stand out to me are Aggie Express, Cabo in the MSC, M20 and Houston Street Subs,” Schweitzer said. “Also, most dining halls on campus all have salad bars, different cereal options and soy milk.”
Abby Brannan, computer engineering sophomore, said she likes the on-campus Mexican Grill Lime, which is similar to Cabo where you can build your own burritos with plenty to choose from.
Schweitzer said Cabo, M2O and Houston Street Subs are great options because they offer a lot of variety since you build your own sandwiches, salads or burritos at these places.
“Cabo is my favorite on campus place because it’s kind of like Chipotle, you get to customize what you want there and build your own burrito,” Schweitzer said.
College students are always on the go, another great option that has vegan choices is Aggie Express, Schweitzer said.
“They have a variety of energy bars, I like the Clif Bars, so if I don’t have time to stop in the dining hall in the morning or get breakfast in my dorm,” Schweitzer said. “Aggie Express is my on the go option, it is quick and easy.”
Schweitzer said being a vegan college student can be challenging but not as hard as other students may think. Challenges Schweitzer said she has had to face as a vegan include living on-campus and having a meal plan, which is hard to use and that it would be easier living off campus while having access to her own kitchen.
“You just have to get creative with your meals,” Schweitzer said. “I have a rice cooker in my room that helps a lot because I can make oatmeal, steamed veggies, rice and I can microwave a lot of different foods.”
Brannan said she thinks A&M does a good job accommodating vegan and vegetarian students’ needs.
“However, I wish the on-campus dining hall hours of operation were not so limited, a lot of times on-campus places will not be open at a time that is convenient for me so that is a bit of a struggle some time,” Brannan said.
Schweitzer said the pros outweigh the cons of being vegan.
“Overall, a few positive things about being vegan include that it makes me feel good, I’m more cautious of what I’m eating,” Schweitzer said. “So, I tend to be a lot healthier and that’s a big plus because you feel better in the long run.”
Brannan said being vegan has boosted her energy and helped her get into health and fitness more, now that she is cautious the kind of food she puts in her body.
“I recommend it, being vegan is an adjustment but College Station and the university give plenty of options to make this diet doable,” Brannan said.