Reds’ to bring wine and music to Bryan

%26%23160%3B

Thousands of residents from Bryan-College Station are expected this weekend to attend the eighth-annual Texas Reds Steak & Grape Festival for the chance to experience the culture of Downtown Bryan.
The festival, hosted by the Downtown Bryan Association, will host a variety of live music, artisan showcases and a section of wine and beer exhibitions from local Texan producers. The festival also has a Kid Zone equipped with a playground and other kid-friendly activities.
Caitlyn McIntosh, bioenvironmental sciences senior, has visited the festival before.
“It’s just a super fun atmosphere,” McIntosh said. “There are numerous activities for adults and children alike, including steak cook-offs and the grape stomp.”
Jessie Ayers, graphic designer for the Texas Reds Festival, expects attendance from all around Texas.
“I’ve designed ads displayed everywhere in Texas — in magazines, newspapers and even on billboards in Brenham and Austin,” Ayers said. “It’s exciting to see my work reaching audiences all over the state.”
Ayers also said a new beer tasting venue was created to target those who aren’t fans of wine. But an array of beer it is not the only new attraction the event will feature this year.
The festival will include 50 bands spanning various musical genres such as country, bluegrass, Latin, rock and roll and more — all for free — on five stages scattered throughout the venue.
“We wanted to diversify our featured musical talent this year for our diverse population of attendees,” said Amanda Reynolds, event and program manager for the Downtown Bryan Association. “Bands that have performed at the famous Austin City Limits Festival will be performing here, too. That kind of recognition should attract visitors from all over Texas.”
While admission to the event is free, there is a separate charge for a wine and beer tasting package. And for food connoisseurs, Texas Reds will exhibit a myriad of steak dishes provided by local Downtown Bryan restaurants as well as an assorted selection of food provided by local vendors.
The festival also has its artists in mind. The Arts Council of Brazos Valley has sponsored a variety of exhibitions featuring talents such as drawing, painting, woodwork, fiber and jewelry.
“The city of Bryan started the Texas Reds Festival back in 2007 to showcase its rich history and culture, and it’s been going strong ever since,” Reynolds said.
With the array entertainment involved, Reynolds said the festival’s aim is to show that it “truly offers something for everyone.”
The Texas Reds Steak & Grape Festival takes place from 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Saturday, and from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Sunday in Bryan.
Provided.