Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Students go extra green mile

Adopting a green lifestyle is making more of a splash on campus than expected. Aggies all over campus are taking full advantage of ways to reduce their impact on the Earth.
Jakob Rosenberg, senior information and operations management major and co-chair of the Environmental Issues Committee, stresses just how easy it is for students to make the effort to go green on campus.
Taking the bus, using the water bottle filling stations around campus and taking shorter showers are all very do-able ways for us to adopt a green lifestyle, Rosenburg said.
Water filling stations located around campus help cut down on the amount of plastic bottles used. New Big Belly trash and recycle cans give students an alternative way to dispose of trash.
Its not as hard as it seems, said Amanda Cernovich, senior health major and co-chair for the Environmental Issues Committee.
Kelly Maxwell, senior environmental studies major, advocates strongly for the use of reusable canvas bags when shopping.
They give them out for free, why would you not use one? Maxwell said.
The Environmental Issues Committee plans to work in accordance with Texas A&M Athletics in order to turn Kyle Fields concession stand food containers into compost material, replacing the plastic containers currently used. The compost would be taken up by Brazos Valley Recycling.
It will overall divert the amount of trash in the landfills, Cernovich said.
The Environmental issues Committee also plans on working with the IT department to start an eWaste drive.
Some would say that on a college students budget, buying compost materials, granola food and hemp clothing items may not be a top priority. Rosenberg and Cernovich would disagree. Both feel that the effort is worth it and efficient. They said that we all have a personal responsibility to the planet we live on.
We all live here, so we all have a job to protect our planet. Its a universal effort, Cernovich said.
Rosenberg said that the entire green movement has real staying power and isnt just a trend.
Im glad its trendy and has become the thing to do. I feel that the movement is here to stay. We need to start now in order to save our future, Rosenberg said.
Rosenberg said that with the size of the Environmental Issues Committee now, small manageable goals in the Bryan-College Station area and around campus are realistic. It will take some time and effort to see their goals reach a larger scale.