Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Thrifty threads in B-CS

Photo by Photo by Olivia Treadwell

Thrift shopping at stores like Plato’s Closet is popular among students.

College Station may be a relatively small town, but if you look close enough, you’ll find some quality thrift stores. Thrift shopping is popular at  Texas A&M and  among college students in general, as they are looking for opportunities to look great while saving money. Whether you are looking for a quick shopping trip close to home or an afternoon exploring stores downtown with friends, there are options available. Here are a few of the most popular places in College Station and Bryan that every resident should keep on their thrift shop radar.
Market 1023
Downtown Bryan is full of vintage and resale stores, including Market 1023 on North Main Street. It primarily sells home goods, but telecommunication junior Karsen Morgan said students can find quality clothing items near the back of the store. Morgan said Market 1023 caught her eye when she was across the street at a coffee shop with a friend.
“Everything they have is in good shape most of the time, and they actually have a decent collection of clothes,” Morgan said. “I do like the location for it being in Downtown Bryan. It’s away from the business of College Station and not a lot of people seem to be there when shopping, so it’s pretty laid back and enjoyable to look around and doesn’t feel rushed.”
Market 1023 might be one of the further stores from campus, but it has an exciting atmosphere and classic clothes to offer.
Goodwill on Texas Avenue
There are a few Goodwill locations around the area, including one on the corner of Lawrence Street and Texas Avenue in Bryan. This store is close to campus, and chemical engineering sophomore Elizabeth Bik said it is one of her favorites.
“It has some pretty good finds,” Bik said. “You have to go periodically, like go after holidays. That’s usually when it’s the best.”
Elizabeth said she likes the earring selection at this Goodwill, and she typically finds other impressive items as well.
Plato’s Closet
Found in the Post Oak Square off of Harvey road, Plato’s Closet is well known for its vast selection and encouraging customers to bring in their own gently-used clothing in exchange for cash.
Accounting junior and frequent customer Katie Carter said Plato’s Closet is a favorite store of hers because of the affordable prices and quality clothes.
“My favorite thing about Plato’s Closet is all the clothes are really reasonably priced and all in good condition,” Carter said. “They have casual to fancy-casual clothes, so anywhere from workout clothes to date night clothes.”
Carter said she loves Plato’s Closet and is happy to see thrift shops becoming increasingly popular.