President Mark A. Welsh III answers reporters questions on Oct. 4, 2023 at the Hall of Champions. (Julianne Shivers/The Battalion)
A&M Qatar prepares for 2028 closure
Update letter from President Welsh details transition plans for campus
Texas A&M Athletic Director Trev Alberts talks to Texas A&M utility Jett Johnston (36) during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Trev Alberts is on the clock to find A&M baseball’s next head coach
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 28, 2024

Life comes at you fast. Texas A&M baseball and its fanbase entered Tuesday, June 25 with the excitement and optimism that comes with the...

TAMU Maroon poses with the trophy after winning the College Valorant Championship on Sunday, June 9th.
Texas A&M Esports club shines as student-run sports club
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • June 26, 2024

Texas A&M has another championship-winning sports team. Completely student-run and with over 2,900 members in their Discord server, they...

Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle reacts to a call during Texas A&M’s game against Georgia at Olsen Field on Saturday, April 27, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Satire: Meet Mr. Schlossnagle
Chendrick LamarJune 26, 2024

Dear Texas University, I’m sorry that man is your coach, let me be honest It takes a man to be a man, unfortunately, he’s a con artist I...

5 Things to look for in Tuesday’s GOP debate

Here are some things to look for in the fourth round of the GOP debates.
Will longer answer times translate to more substance?
After cutting the two lowest polling candidates from the mainstage and eliminating opening statements, the eight candidates now have 90 seconds to their answers and 30 seconds for rebuttals. Although this is a marked increase from the format of the previous three debates, whether or not it will mean a more in-depth answer from candidates though will be something to watch for.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership

As a debate centered around the economy, pay attention to what the candidates have to say about free trade deals and specifically this newly reached agreement with Pacific Rim nations. While Donald Trump has previously called the agreement a ‘bad deal,’ ‘insanity’ and ‘a disaster,’ Sen. Marco Rubio voted to authorize Fast-Track for the legislation earlier this year. The full text of the 5,000+ page deal was released Nov. 5, and is available online.

Jeb Bush

Although many pundits are now sounding like broken records, the armchair quarterbacking of the Jeb Bush presidential campaign kicked back into high gear this weekend. Sure, it’s the same old tune — dire warnings of what a weak debate performance means for the former Florida governor — but it’s carrying new weight for this debate. After slumping poll numbers, campaign operations cutbacks and progressively weaker debate appearances (culminating with Bush’s ill-advised attack on Sen. Rubio’s attendance that had all the effectiveness of a screen door on a submarine)  Bush desperately needs a knockout performance to revitalize his political machine.

Trump vs. Carson

As the media begins to comb through Dr. Carson’s past and ask questions about the factual accuracy of his biography, Gifted Hands, Donald Trump has been the only candidate willing — so far — to use the information as ammunition. Making appearances on the Sunday shows, Trump expressed some sympathy for Dr. Carson, but subtly went on the attack by raising the same questions Carson had spent the week defending against. Watch for sparks Tuesday evening between these two, as well as some of the candidates closer to the edge of the stage who could possibly lob an attack or two to garner some airtime.

The Tone

The big criticism coming off the CNBC debate was both the tone and quality of the questions moderators asked of the candidates — the question for the FBN debate, is will it be any different. In the age of reality TV (something The Donald knows a thing or two about) conflict and drama translate to increased viewership. It will be worth paying close attention at this debate as to whether or not the FBN really changes the structure and style, or whether they’re just a bunch of DINOs (Different in Name Only).