Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

7,000 expected to help at Big Event

More than 7,000 Texas A&M students are expected to gather on O.R. Simpson Drill Field Saturday morning for the start of the 2003 Big Event, the largest one-day student- run service project that allows students to give back to the community.
This year students are expected to complete more than 660 jobs in the Bryan-College Station area. This year also marks Big Event’s 21st year as the largest community service project in the nation.
The Big Event originated in 1982 when six Aggies, led by Joe Nussbaum, cleaned a local cemetery.
The day will begin with music by Feeding 5000, as well as food and drinks.
Lori McLain, director of Big Event, said people are touched by Aggies who give their time just to change the look of a house by painting or gardening.
“Some people have recently lost a loved one and just want to talk to young people in order to re-energize them,” McLain said. “Students reap huge rewards by helping someone and making a connection with people. They also get to see the results of their hard work.”
McLain said the Big Event team targets needy areas but is not limited to those communities.
“Big Event is not need-based ,” she said. “We accept the first 700 people that come in before our deadline, which was Feb. 26.”
Kappa Delta Chi sorority is one of the many organizations participating in Big Event.The sorority will paint two houses, as well as break down a fence and clear out a yard.
“We have always participated because we feel it unifies the A&M community and its organizations,” said Arycelis Segura, president of Kappa Delta Chi. “We are also helping out the community that supports A&M. We are giving our time, which is sometimes the best thing people need.”
Students and organizations are assigned randomly using a computer program, but there are special assignments for some projects.
“Some people only speak Spanish, so we try to make some special matches,” McLain said.
Michelle Rivera, community interest sub-chair for Big Event and a junior psychology major, said Big Event staffers look for donations year-round.
“Big Event costs $50,000 to put on, so we gather donations to buy supplies, while a small amount of supplies are donated,” Rivera said. “We ask businesses in the community for donations and we also had an auction featuring signed football memorabilia that raised $4,000.”
Rivera also said there are a few corporate sponsors, such as Bank of America and the 12th Man Foundation.
“We’re also working on becoming a non-profit organization so in future years
businesses can get a tax deduction,” she said. “That will definitely help us get more donations.”
Currently, 30 schools across the nation host The Big Event, and the number is expected to increase in the upcoming year.
“Our goals in the upcoming year are to establish an endowment fund, include more service projects and students on the day of The Big Event, and expand nationally to other universities,” McLain said.