Actor imparts values to students

Speaker at the United Nations, actor in The Sopranos, TV host, writer and Eagle Scout this is Chris Bashinelli’s resume at 25 years old. Chris Bashinelli, or Bash, visited
Texas A&M Wednesday to inaugurate the 2012 Delta Gamma lecture series.
Emma Itria, senior accounting major and primary coordinator for the event, said Chris was chosen after much discussion because they wanted someone who felt strongly about their message.
When I saw videos of Chris speaking while I was initially researching speakers, his passion was the first thing that stuck out to me, Itria said. His message of doing what you are passionate about in life is something we felt would be great to share with our University.
Even though a majority of Bashinellis accomplishments are not relatable to everyone, Itria said Bashinellis message can still apply directly to students.
Being in college, I think many people reach a point where they must decide what path to take with their life, Itria said. Sometimes that means doing what is practical and sometimes that means doing what you love. I think Chris is a great example that you dont have to always choose between the two.
Speaking to a crowded auditorium, Bashinelli reiterated the importance of following ones dream. No Matter What, was the reoccurring motif of
the night.
No matter what adversity you face, do not lose sight of the goal in your life, Bashinelli said.
Reminiscing about the fascinating incidents he experienced during his travels, Bashinelli enthralled the audience with his tales. He took listeners through his journey from Tanzania to Indonesia. He interspersed his speech with videos featuring the different people he met, who have had an impact on him in some way. He also spoke of all the fun experiences he had while being a part of a different culture.
Bashinelli met famous personalities from varied backgrounds, from conservationist Jane Goodall to U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.
It is you who has to take the first step to get where you want to, Bashinelli said.
Barbara Broyle, director of lectureship at the Delta Gamma sorority, said she was pleased with the message Bashinelli sent to the audience.
The lecture was very good and the message that Mr. Chris Bashinelli is spreading ties in perfectly to the values and ethics theme of the night, Broyle said.
The Delta Gamma lectureship series was started in the celebration of the fiftieth wedding anniversary of Paul Martin and Dorothy Dotty Garrett Martin in 1992. This lectureship emphasizes on speeches on the themes of values and ethics. To have the opportunity to establish a Delta Gamma Lectureship at Texas A&M, the chapter raised $50,000 and the Martin family donated another $50,000 to establish a $100,000 lectureship with the Texas A&M Foundation.