Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Aggie billionaire oilman dies at age of 94

Oilman billionaire and Texas Aggie George P. Mitchell died Friday morning at the age of 94, according to the Cynthia and George Mitchell Foundation website.
George is survived by 10 children, 23 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren. The Mitchell family released a statement followed George’s passing Friday.
“We are deeply saddened to announce that George Phydias Mitchell passed away today,” the statement said. “He died of natural causes in Galveston surrounded by his family.
Mitchell, a Galveston native, graduated at the top of his class from Texas A&M in 1940 with degrees in petroleum engineering and geology. While at A&M, he played for the Aggie tennis team. He met his wife Cynthia on a return train ride after attending a Texas A&M vs. University of Texas football game.
Cynthia Mitchell passed away in 2009 after battling Alzheimer’s disease for seven years.
“He married Cynthia Woods Mitchell, and, together, they raised 10 children and collaborated on myriad projects – all dedicated to making the world a more hospitable and sustainable place. Cynthia passed away in 2009,” the family said in the statement.
The Mitchells are known at Texas A&M for their numerous donations including contributions to the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center as well as the George P. Mitchell Physics Building and the George P. and Cynthia W. Mitchell Fundamental Physics and Astronomy Building.
“Whether it was graduating first in his class at Texas A&M University, developing the first master-planned community, pioneering the technology that unleashed the shale gas boom, working to create a more sustainable planet, restoring the historic area of Galveston, or just fishing with his family, he had the right mix of vision, optimism, and tenacity, and a love for his fellow man,” the family statement said.
By 2011, the couple had donated over $100 million to Texas A&M.
As an oilman, George developed hydraulic fracking to recover natural gas from shale deposits, pioneering the process that led to an energy boom.
George will also be remembered for the development of the The Woodlands community and reviving Mardi Gras in his hometown of Galveston. He also donated resources and added attention to Alzheimer’s disease research in the state of Texas.
“We are and will forever be grateful for the gift of this remarkable life. There’s no doubt that he helped make this world a better place,” the statement said.