Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Aggies celebrate the festival of lights

Diwali popularly known as the festival of lights is celebrated by people of many faiths all across the world.
Hindus celebrate this festival by lighting lamps and bursting fire-crackers to mark the return of Lord Rama after 14 years of exile. In Jainism, Diwali marks the attainment of nirvana by Lord Mahavira. People from the Sikh faith celebrate it to commemorate the release of their sixth guru Guru Hargobind Singh from imprisonment. Many student organizations at Texas A&M celebrate this festival and the India Association is one of them.
For most students, Diwali brings back cherished memories from back home, said Tushar Hodarkar, management information systems graduate student. Many are spending their Diwali outside India for the first time. This inspires the Indian Association to organize the event which brings us all together at this special time of the year.
The event also aims to help students from other nationalities learn about the festival and understand the culture and traditions.
The India Association has been celebrating Diwali at Texas A&M since the last thirty years, said Karthik Venkatachalapathi, management information systems graduate student and vice president India Association. Apart from the celebrations, the event aims to encourage international students to mingle and learn the cultural diversity and traditions tied to their native country when they meet under a single roof.
The celebratory event named DIA 2012 will be held at Ray Auditorium in the Wehner Building Friday. Highlights of the event will be a comedy skit performance by students, dance performances and musical shows. The event will begin at 5 p.m. until 11 p.m.
An array of authentic Indian cuisine will be on the menu for dinner.
Anybody and everybody is invited. Venkatachalapathi said.