A&M requests bids to outsource airport

Texas A&M began first steps to privatize Easterwood Airport, in hopes of creating an additional revenue stream. Easterwood is university-owned and is the only airport that serves the regional area of Brazos County. It provides the only commercial flights in the area. The first step of privatizing the airport involves the collection of Request for Qualifications, which is the process of interested businesses and firms send in their qualifications and capabilities. RFQs strictly deal with the specificity of how money will be involved in the project. It is believed that Texas A&Ms main reason for privatizing the airport would be to bring in an additional revenue stream, but B.J. Crain, Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer, said that is not the Universities sole purpose. It is not all about the generation of revenue, Crain said. We are looking at things to see if they can be done in a more efficient manner. We are looking around in activities that in other areas that are commonly outsourced and we are doing something similar. More information will be released after the RFQ process is over and the project has moved through to RFPs.