Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Baylor routs A&M, powers through singles

In its final home match of the season, the Texas A&M women’s tennis team was blown out by No. 5 Baylor 6-1 Wednesday at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.
“[Baylor is] at least equal to the best team we have played all year,” said A&M Head Coach Bobby Kleinecke. “What happened is that our weaknesses were exploited.”
The Aggies entered the match as an underdog and the Lady Bears did not let the Aggies get close to playing an upset role.
The doubles point was closely contested as the No.3 line duo of junior Elze Potgieter and freshman Sheri Olivier won their match 8-3. However, the Aggies dropped No.1 and No. 2 doubles and handed Baylor a 1-0 lead.
Baylor took five of the six singles matches in straight sets, including the first four singles matches off the court. The first four matches off the courts combined to win a total of 11 games. In six of the eight sets played during the four matches, the Lady Bears held the Aggies to one game or less.
Sophomore Christ Liles was defeated first at No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-0. Shortly after, freshman Lauren Santacroce was defeated 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5 singles. Baylor clinched the match 4-0 as freshman Janelle Cuthbertson was dropped 6-1, 6-1.
“Baylor is a good team,” Kleinecke said. “That doesn’t mean that we are satisfied. That doesn’t mean that we are going to take that and say that is the best we can do. This team is not unbeatable but we have to be on to beat them.”
On the positive side for the Aggies was Potgieter, who won both her doubles and singles matches.
Potgieter battled after losing her first set to force a third set, taking the second set 6-1. In the super tiebreaker, Potgieter trailed 9-7, but rallied to win.
“Elze is playing great people every time out there,” Kleinecke said. “I am very proud of what she has shown us the last couple of matches. She can play with anybody and it is just a matter of her doing that day in and day out.”
The Aggies have dropped three consecutive matches, two nonconference and one conference, and will head to Kansas to wrap up Big 12 play.
The Aggies will need to beat both Kansas State and Kansas in order to secure the No. 3 seed in the Big 12 tournament.
“There is a lot still up for grabs,” Kleinecke said. “This isn’t going to be an easy road trip and we haven’t played well away from home. We need to take this same energy and fight and take it up to Kansas.”