Beto O’Rourke visits College Station

By Savannah Mehrtens

Democratic U.S. Congressman Beto O’Rourke stands on a chair to speak to over 200 people at Rosa’s Cafe in College Station, Texas. 

Over 200 people gathered toward the back of Rosa’s Cafe in College Station, Texas to hear Democratic U.S. Congressman Beto O’Rourke speak about prevalent issues facing voters during the 2018 midterm elections.

O’Rourke is traveling across the state as part of his campaign for the U.S. Senate, hoping to learn more about the voters by listening to their questions and concerns for this coming election. During the meet and greet, O’Rourke discussed many issues facing Texans that he hopes to address if he wins the election.

O’Rourke said he would like to emphasize that job security, lowering or ending debt for college students and access to medical care among his many goals.

“I’m here to listen, and we’re not taking anyone for granted, we’re not writing anyone off,” O’Rourke said. “[College students] are every bit as important as everyone else in the state, and that’s why I’m back for the second time. But whether it is making college truly affordable, whether it’s making sure that after they graduate they find that job or get the help they need to go on to the next level of their education, I want to make sure there is someone fighting full time for them in the United States Senate.”

When it comes to making college affordable and securing opportunities in the job market, O’Rourke said junior senators have not been providing constituents with proper time dedicated towards these issues.  

“We’re going to work on a bipartisan basis with Republican and Democrats alike to get some really good things done for this country,” O’Rourke said.

Psychology senior Shelby Herrera volunteered at the Beto O’Rourke meet and greet. Herrera said that minority representation is important to her, and that she believes O’Rourke should work towards that goal.

“I’m here volunteering for Beto’s campaign because I believe that it is important that politicians start representing the ideals that advance people of color,” Herrera said. “It is important that we start getting people in office that hold similar beliefs or beliefs that will help with the advancement of minorities or communities of color.”

Herrera said having a fresh face running against current Republican Texas Senator Ted Cruz is a welcome change to the current political atmosphere.

“I have become very disillusioned by politicians like Ted Cruz who say they care about a certain community, yet do nothing that really represents the ideals that they are speaking out about,” Herrera said. “I think that somebody like Beto that is fresh and that has really been striving away from traditional politics in a way would benefit our communities a lot more.”

Communications specialist for Texas A&M’s New Student and Family programs Derek Byrne came out to see O’Rourke because he noticed his rise in the polls and state-wide travels.

“I think he is running an interesting campaign so far, especially knowing the fact that he is traveling across Texas this month visiting just about every town and city he can,” Bryne said. “I think that is a really interesting opportunity to hear a different point of view, and, from what I’ve seen in the polls, an up-and-coming new candidate.”