Senior INF Rylen Wiggins (2) high fives Senior INF Trinity Cannon (6) before Texas A&Ms game against UTSA on Feb. 25, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Storm the Beach
Storm the Beach

Board votes to close Qatar campus

Photo by Meredith Seaver
Admin Building Pass Fail

The Texas A&M Board of Regents voted  7-1 to close its Qatar campus by 2028 on Feb. 2.

The decision comes one month after a non-profit watchdog organization, the Institute for the Study of Global Antisemitism and Policy, said the campus presented a national security risk and alleged the existence of a “confidential agreement” that grants Qatar “unprecedented control over research and standards, faculty, curriculum and budgets at Texas A&M” in a press release and letter to policy makers. University President Welsh denied the accusations in a Jan. 7 statement.

The campus is funded in partnership with The Qatar Foundation, a state-run non-profit organization. In a statement, the Foundation said the Board’s decision was influenced by a “disinformation campaign.”

“It is disturbing that this disinformation has become the determining factor in the decision and that it has been allowed to override the core principles of education and knowledge, with no consideration to the significant positive impact that this partnership has brought for both Qatar and the U.S.,” the statement reads.

The vote took place after discussion in executive session, which was not available to the public. Regent Michael Plank was the only dissenting vote and regent Robert Albritton was absent for the vote.

“We are quickly assembling a transition team based in College Station that will work closely with the leadership team in Qatar to ensure current students are supported through their academic journey and that our faculty and staff are provided with support and resources during this transition period,” University President Mark Welsh said in a statement.

View Comments (1)