Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Brother Jed’ returns

Wednesday afternoon, a crowd of more than 50 students gathered at the southwest corner of the Academic Building around a man holding a cane-like staff with a crucifix atop it. The man was Jed Smock, commonly known as Brother Jed, and is no stranger to the Texas A&M campus.
Reminiscent of a political debate, loud, quick-fire statements meant to express fervent ideologies were launched by Smock and the students present. The Agnostic and Atheist Student Group of Texas A&M was also there, encouraging “Donations against Damnations” adjacent to Smock as he took questions from inquirers.
A student asked Smock his opinion on women who were required to work in order to help bring income into the family.
Smock answered: “If a man cannot pay his bills, a loving wife might help out,” but he continued to state that the reason so many “of you” are rebellious is because the woman is at work and absent from the home, where she should be. “There are other ways of gaining income that don’t involve working outside of the home.”
A group of students was discussing ideas. One stepped forward and asked what Smock thought about men who do not mind staying at home to take care of duties that are traditionally delegated to women.
“I would have to question the masculinity of those men,” Smock said.
When questioned on matters of homosexuality, Smock said: “Homosexuality isn’t a classification. A woman cannot be a lesbian, she is made for a man.”
Tanner Searight, a junior range and ranch management major, said he found Smock to be hypocritical.
“He says that we are supposed to have one life partner, but advised that my friend in the Marines, who recently lost his wife but has a son, should get a new wife to help him with childcare,” Searight said.
Keri Bean, a meteorology graduate student and member of the Agnostic and Atheist Student Group, said he tends to discuss Bible topics.
“We just wanted to provide a positive counterpoint to Brother Jed,” he said. “He will be here for the rest of the week (Jan 26-28) and so will we.”
A student asked if Smock had anything specific he would like to establish with those with whom he was speaking.
“Jesus is the only way to salvation. Christianity is the only way, and all other religions are wrong. I know that is against the grain of the way you are indoctrinated with multiculturalism, but Christianity is the only way,” Smock said.