Constitution Day talk delves into ‘leakers’

Nikita Redkar — THE BATTALION
Nikita Redkar — THE BATTALION

Photo by Nikita Redkar
In recognition of Constitution Day, the Wiley Lecture Series hosted Ronald Sievert of the Texas A&M Bush School and John Attanasio of Southern Methodist University to speak on whistleblowers and “leakers.”
“We do a Constitution day program every year,” said Megan Mumford, Wiley Lecture Series chair. “We coordinate with the provost office, and each year we try to think of a topic that is timely, that pertains to the Constitution. With [Edward] Snowden and [Bradley] Manning and everything happening, we thought the student body would be interested in hearing about whistleblowers and the Constitution.”
Attanasio started the evening off by discussing whistleblowers, someone who reports a person or organization engaging in illegal activity and their constitutional rights.
“The courts have been very protective over our history of the ability to sort of police government and of constitutional rights to bring things to the public so that the public can make its own decision, this is a democracy,” Attanasio said.
Attanasio said the underlying system is strong and that it is important for college students to know about the Constitution and the way the government works.
“[Students] are the future, [they] are the people who are going to protect the system and either allow it to flourish or not because [they’ll] be the leaders,” Attanasio said.
Sievert followed by speaking on leakers, those who expose confidential government records, using Snowden as an example of what is wrong with leakers.