Corps holiday event helps philanthropy

Photo by Photo by: Alexis Will
Holiday on the Quad

Thousands gathered on the Quad Sunday night for Christmas lights, s’mores and hot chocolate.
The Corps of Cadets decorated the Quad and Centennial Park with Christmas lights and doled out free sweets to those in attendance for Holiday on the Quad, an event which began last year. The event brought in donations for the Corps of Cadets’ philanthropy, March of Dimes, a foundation focused on preventing birth defects and infant mortality, and gathered toys for students in need with a toy box placed outside of Duncan Dining Hall.
Collin Kruger, accounting senior and Corps public relations officer, said he was pleased with the turnout.
“I cannot explain how much of a relieving feeling it is to see all of these people come out here and enjoy themselves and give money to March of Dimes and to see that all of our hard work paid off,” Kruger said.
Kruger said last year’s event garnered over $1,300 for March of Dimes.
“Last year at every booth there was a bucket where people could drop off money, pennies and quarters and dollar bills, whatever they wanted to donate for the cookies and hot chocolate and coffee and all that kind of stuff, so we’re planning to do that again this year,” Kruger said.
While Kruger said last year’s event was thrown together in just a few days, Addison Jaynes, international studies, politics and diplomacies senior and Holiday on the Quad coordinator, said more thought was put into this year’s Holiday on the Quad.
“Over the summer we thought about what we could do to make it better,” Jaynes said. “So we took those ideas and expanded them, and we’re hopefully going to put forward an even better festival than last year.”
Kruger said this year marks an important anniversary for the relationship between the Corps and March of Dimes.
“This year is actually the 40th year the March of Dimes has been teamed up with the Corps of Cadets,” Kruger said. “It’s kind of a big year for us with them.”
Kruger said this year Holiday on the Quad was sponsored by various companies around Bryan-College Station, which allowed the Corps to spend more money on the event, as opposed to last year, when Holiday on the Quad consisted of only decorations and a few activities.
“This year it’s a lot different,” Jaynes said. “Obviously we only have half the Quad because of construction and everything, but we’ve made do with it. We have the Quad experience with the outfits out here doing stuff and different organizations.”
Megan Emiliani, biomedical science freshman, said the event was a good idea to have before finals.
“I think it was a really cool idea to do, and it makes campus feel more warm and Christmas-y,” Emiliani said.
Rylie Steppick, communication freshman, said she was surprised to hear of the event and was impressed with the work that went into planning it.
“This is the first time I’ve heard of it,” Steppick said. “I love it. I didn’t know it was going to be this expansive with so much effort put in. It’s pretty awesome.”
Jaynes said the Corps also wanted to make the second Holiday on the Quad more family-friendly.
“This year we’re also trying to cater to families in the community,” Jaynes said. “Obviously, no matter what, we’re going to get our student population. But we’re really trying to reach out to the community, get families here and make things more family-friendly.”
In addition to the sponsors Holiday on the Quad received, Kruger said the Corps also set aside $5,000 for the event after the success of last year.
“Last year I remember seeing grandparents with their grandkids out here wandering around and looking at lights and everything, and I thought that was really cool,” Kruger said. “That made my heart happy because it was something that we did — and the little kids are out here enjoying time with their grandpa and it’s something they’re going to remember for a long time.”