Corps vs. IFC Softball Game

Photo by By Meredith Seaver

Senior Environmental Geoscience major Cullen Gillaspia traded in his 12th Man football jersey for a baseball shirt while representing Kappa Alpha.

Thursday evening, cadets and fraternity members participated in a Corps of Cadets versus Interfraternity Council charity softball game.  In the seven inning showdown, the Corps Baseball Team emerged victorious after a comeback in the bottom of the sixth inning. The cadets took home the win and the trophy with a final score of 8-6. All proceeds from the evening are being donated to Aggie BUILD.
Photos by Meredith Seaver

• The Corps Baseball Team jerseys were made of their physical training shirts with white duct tape numbers attached to their backs.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • One difference between this game and any other softball game was that they had a “Home Run Rule” – if you hit the ball out of the park, you can’t play for the rest of the game.  Senior Construction Science major Adam Hill of Squadron 17 was one of the first to fall victim to this rule.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • The slow pitch softball game required all pitchers to throw underhand, including senior Agricultural Economics major Nick Chrisman of Kappa Sigma.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • Ag Leadership and Development senior Blake Hlavinka from Squadron 17 made sure to keep his foot on base while waiting for a teammate to step up to the plate. No leadoffs or stolen bases was another one of the modified rules for the friendly matchup. 

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • In his first at bat, senior Environmental Geoscience major Cullen Gillaspia hit a home run over the fence resulting in him not being able to participate for the rest of the game.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • A member of the Corps baseball team makes hand signals to his teammates in the dugout after making it to first base.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • Corps fans went wild after the Cadets scored four runs in order to tie the game.  The Corps crowd included the Commandant, General Ramirez ‘79, as well as Corps Commander and Political Science senior Bradley Sauer, and Deputy Corps Commander Sara Wojack, a Management senior.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • IFC player JJ Gustafson, a Land Economics and Real Estate graduate student and member of Phi Gamma Delta, called his teammates into a huddle after the Cadets scored six runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • After catching a fly ball to left field, the Corps Baseball Team celebrates the hard fought victory over the IFC Baseball Team. 

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • Since the Cadets won, the Commandant decided he would let the entire Corps sleep in Friday morning instead of going on the usual Corps Run before a home football game.

Photo by By Meredith Seaver
  • After a night of friends and fundraising, both teams look forward to their next match up – hopefully in the Spring of 2018!

Photo by By Meredith Seaver