Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Crash kills two cadets, injures one

Three people, including two members of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, were killed in a head-on collision involving a wrong-way driver early Sunday morning on Highway 290 outside of Houston.
Freshman construction science major, Amy Pacheco; freshman general studies major, Miguel Hernandez; and freshman landscape architecture major, Francisco Campos were returning to College Station after attending an ROTC event in Houston when Pachecos Ford Explorer was struck just after 3:30 a.m. by 21-year-old Katie Thomas, according to the Harris Country Sherriffs Office.
Thomas was driving east in the westbound lanes of Highway 290 near Binford Road when her car collided with the SUV.
The SUV was driven by Pacheco and caught fire upon collision. Pacheco and Hernandez, both members of Company B-1, were unable to escape the vehicle and died. Campos, a member of Company F-1, was helped out of the vehicle by a passer-by and taken to Memorial Herman Hospital. He is in stable condition, according to officials.
Thomas was pronounced dead at the scene. Deputies found beer bottles in Thomas car and believe alcohol to be a factor in the accident, according to the Harris County Sherriffs Office.
“We in the Corps of Cadets and at Texas A&M University are in mourning over the loss of two of our cadets in a tragic car accident early this morning,” said Brig. Gen. and Corps Commandant Joe Ramirez. “We offer our sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers to their family and friends and ask everyone to respect these families and our cadets as we mourn during these trying times.”
Pacheco and Hernandez will be honored at 10:30 p.m. Monday at Echo Taps on the Quad.