Cruz draws crowd at campaign stop in Bryan

Ted+Cruz
Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Ted Cruz

The conference hall at the Bryan Expo Center was crowded with over 400 Ted Cruz supporters who welcomed the Senator with an enthusiastic ovation.
The Republican incumbent, who was first elected as Texas Senator in 2012, stopped in Bryan on Friday to greet a largely conservative crowd whose T-shirts and signs reflected support for their candidate. Led to stage by chants of “Ted,” the Senator began his speech, immediately focusing on the significance of this year’s midterm elections.
“Today is an important day to be a Texan,” Cruz said. “Every day is an important day to be a Texan. This election is pivotal and we will make a choice between one of two paths for Texas.”
Cruz’s 30-minute speech centered around many of the issues that he said are especially important to the people of Texas — immigration, energy, jobs and the state economy.
“African American, Hispanic and Asian American unemployment are at their all-time lowest rates,” Cruz said, “Youth unemployment is at its lowest rate in 52 years. … There has never been a better time to come out of college in Texas.”
Arriving from Chicago three months ago, engineering freshman Rick Bhardwaj said his alignment with Ted Cruz began shortly after hearing President Donald Trump speak in support of the Senator’s campaign.
“I started following the campaign after the Trump rally.” Bhardwaj said, “Trump’s support of Ted Cruz made me start to support him too.”
Engineering freshman Nathan Gee said he supports Cruz because he is a reflection of the values Texans hold.
“He agrees more with our viewpoints and the way we are aligned,” Gee said. “I voted mainly for Ted Cruz because Beto [O’Rourke] doesn’t really represent how we view things, especially in healthcare, border issues and gun control.”
In his speech, Cruz drew cheers from the crowd in addressing O’Rourke’s stance on border control, taxes and international support for Israel. Cruz made reference to various taxes introduced by O’Rourke, including a joke about a particular rainwater tax.
“In Texas we celebrate when it rains,” Cruz said. “We don’t tax it.”
Nuclear engineering freshman Israel Aguirre said Ted Cruz will likely win the election because of how he handles his campaign and connects with Texas voters.
“I think Cruz will win because the values Ted Cruz runs on are the values many of us uphold as well,” Aguirre said. “There are a lot of supporters for Beto, but that’s because they’re vocal and he has a lot of the young crowd supporting him as well.”
Aguirre said he is confident in what Cruz accomplished in his first term and believes the senator’s re-election would guarantee the state’s success.
“I’m from South Texas and I feel safe and secure because Ted Cruz has done a good job securing the border,” Aguirre said. “If Ted Cruz is re-elected he is going to keep Texas Texas and continue fighting for what Texas stands for.”
The last day to vote in the midterm elections is Nov. 6.