Dates for a cause

Photo by Jenny Hollowell

The second annual date auction from Texas A&M’s African Student Association named “What’s Love Got to do With It” helps raise money for underdeveloped countries.

Texas A&M’s African Student Association helped students find a Valentine’s Day date all while raising money for underdeveloped countries around the world.

ASA hosted their second annual date auction titled “ What’s Love Got to do With It” in the John Richardson Petroleum Engineering building Friday Feb. 10. The proceeds raised during the event will support the Amoud foundation, a nonprofit organization that assists countries around the world through various sustainable humanitarian projects.

Nagaad Tubea, ASA’s Community service officer said the goals of the Amoud foundation are centered around helping others in experiencing difficult times across the globe.

“The Amoud Foundation strives to relieve the suffering of the poor in the horn of Africa and around the world where help is needed,” Tubea said. “Their projects include establishments of hospitals, educational institutions, orphanages and also aid for refugees in various countries.”

The Amoud foundation was founded in 1998 in Irving, Texas by a group of American Somali who wanted to help rebuild their homeland after a devastating Civil War, according to their website. ASA President and biomedical science senior Francis Mtuke said the organization hopes to raise awareness about the Amoud Foundation through their date auction.

“The Amoud Foundation is our biggest philanthropy”, Mtuke said. “We had this event for the first time last year, as a social event to raise awareness for the Amoud Foundation. It was such a big success last year, so we decided to do it again.”

Physics sophomore Gentill Abdulla was one of the 10 students who volunteered at the charity date auction and received a bid for $350 at the event.

“One of my friends on the African Student Association board asked me to participate,” Abdulla said. “It’s a great cause so I decided to participate. … I think it was just a nice event. I like getting dressed up and it’s all for a good cause.”

Engineering Academy at Blinn freshman Adaugo Njoku said she was proud to be apart of an event that gave back.
“It’s really a great way to get young people entertained and give to something positive,”  Njoku said. “Many were willing to give a generous amount.”