‘Driven for excellence’

Photo by Courtesy
New Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Shonda Gibson, current associate provost for institutional effectiveness and research at Texas A&M University-Commerce, is set to serve as the A&M System’s associate vice chancellor for academic affairs.
Gibson said she is excited to be in a position with opportunities to make a positive impact.
“It’s all about continuous improvement… changing and adapting to what the future looks like,” Gibson said. “This position affords me the privilege to transform the lives of millions of people. I am excited to look to the future and see how we need to proceed.”
A statement provided by the A&M System said Gibson will lead efforts associated with EmpowerU initiative.
“This initiative looks for ways to provide long term improvement and growth for the university,” Gibson said. “We will work with the leadership from other universities, discuss the challenges and success of each university and find ways to work together.”
Gibson identifies strongly with Texas A&M’s core values, especially excellence, which she said she tries to live out daily and push others to emanate.
“We can be excellent in all that we do… we just have to look for ways to be innovative, future focused and driven for excellence,” Gibson said.
The incoming vice chancellor offered advice for current students, reminding them that while being excellent in their studies, it’s important to take time to relax.
“Don’t take yourself so seriously, learn who you are and where you need to contribute,” Gibson said. “It’s not all about your career and your job, and by focusing solely on those aspects of your life you close a lot of doors for yourself. Enjoy yourself and relax, your career will start when it’s ready to start.”