Flag room renamed after class of ’79 donor

Vanessa Pena

The flag room has been renamed in honor of Kaye and Stephen Horn ’79.

The Memorial Student Center flag room has been officially renamed the “Stephen Horn ‘79 Flag Room” in honor of Kaye and Stephen Horn ‘79.

According to a Texas A&M Foundation press release, the Texas A&M Foundation decided to change the name of the Flag Room after the Horns donated $2 million to the Foundation, completing its $20 million campaign for renovations to the MSC. The Board of Regents approved the decision on April 29.

According to the release, the Horns’ financial contribution is one of several they have donated over the years.

Stephen Horn said his donation was a response to his involvement in the MSC when he was a student.  

“The student union experience is very important and provides opportunities for students to get involved in various activities to really expand their horizons,” Horn said.  ”I think it’s a very important part of the A&M experience.”

As a student, Horn was a part of the MSC Council and served as chairman of the MSC Great Issues Committee, an organization that presented programs on issues affecting the Texas A&M community.

“I was very involved in the MSC when I was a student,” Horn said. “I spent a lot of time there, and the MSC was an important part of my experience at A&M.”

MSC President Zach Rosinsky said the Horns’ donation is a reflection of the new resources made available by recent renovations.

“If it weren’t for generous and committed donors such as the Horn family, the Memorial Student Center and Texas A&M University would not posses the unique capability to develop leaders of character like it has for so many years.” Rosinsky said.

The Horns’ contribution serves a larger role in providing renovations to update and expand the MSC, Rosinsky said.

“The MSC could not be more grateful for the support of the Horn family and their dedication to the Memorial Student Center, Texas A&M and the students that will attend our university for decades to come.” Rosinsky said.