Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

Former students’ network to honor Michalke

Photo by File

Senior Corps Commander Alyssa Michalke will be honored at a reception hosted by the Women Former Students’ Network Thursday. 

Fifty years ago, women were not even allowed to attend Texas A&M. Now, to honor the first female Corps of Cadets Commander, Alyssa Michalke, the Women Former Students’ Network will host a reception Thursday.
“A big part of the Women Former Students’ Network’s mission is to recognize the accomplishments of women and their contributions to the university and to the world,” said Women Former Students’ Network President Molly Underwood. “We were thrilled to learn of Alyssa’s achievement of being named first female Corps Commander and want to celebrate her and her accomplishment.”
Michalke said she is excited to meet other notable women from the university’s past.

“It means quite a bit, honestly to be able to interact with so many women who made such great strides here at Texas A&M University and in the Corps of Cadets,” Michalke said. “It’s a great honor and a great privilege and I’m really looking forward to interacting with so many of these really inspiring women.”

Michalke said the event should full of interesting stories and “good bull.”
“I know probably five or 10 that are going to be there, but I’ve been told there’s going to be 125 or 130 women, so there’s probably going to be plenty of them that I have not met yet, but I’m looking forward to meeting,” Michalke said.
Underwood said Michalke is an inspiration to other women.

“We expect a diverse audience and we hope that everyone will be inspired by Alyssa’s story, outlook, leadership and drive for success,” Underwood said.
The reception will begin at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday night at Messina Hof Winery and Resort. Michalke will speak at 6:30 p.m. The event is free but space is limited, so people interested in attending should RSVP to [email protected]