The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Hard-core Archie?

I love Spider-Man and Superman as much as the next guy, but it seems that Marvel and DC’s big kids are always getting play. Whether it’s a new movie deal, a video game or a line of action figures, it’s always the “in-crowd” that gets all the fame and acclaim. Here are a few comic book heroes that are undeservedly left in the dust.
Darkwing Duck
Who: He is the terror that flaps in the night. He is the cat that lays kittens in your bed. He is Darkwing Duck! Let’s get dangerous. A Disney creation, “Darkwing Duck” aired from 1991 to 1993 as part of the “Disney Afternoon.” Voiced by Jim Cummings, Darkwing Duck is mild mannered Drake Mallard by day, protector of St. Canard by night. Along with adopted daughter Gosalyn and sidekick Launchpad McQuack, Darkwing stumbles through his duties. Inspired by the Crimson Avenger and Batman, Darkwing may be a childhood favorite of many a college student, but he’s down on his luck at present.
Character defining moment: In “Twin Beaks,” the producers of “Darkwing Duck” spend an entire episode satirizing David Lynch’s groundbreaking TV show, “Twin Peaks.” Why the animators would homage a show that few, if any, of it’s viewers watched is unknown, but the episode featured the body of one of Darkwing’s enemies washing up to shore wrapped in plastic, a direct parody of “Twin Peaks’s” theme song and the usage of Lynch’s signature slow moving development and complacent camera angles. Now that’s hard core.
Way to get back on the top: After a short run on Toon Disney, “Darkwing Duck” has nowhere to call home. Luckily for those few remaining fans, several online sources have reported that everybody’s favorite anthropomorphic caped crusader is due on DVD sometime next year. With the recent resurge in superhero popularity, could a new show be that far behind?
Aquaman
Who: OK, so he has lame powers and dresses in a stupid costume. Is that reason for Aquaman, DC’s king of Atlantis, to be Hollywood’s punching bag?
Created in 1941, Aquaman is the son of undersea royalty and a lighthouse keeper. Vowing to protect the world and its seas, Aquaman uses his abilities to breathe underwater, swim fast and talk to fish. While he may not have Superman-level powers, he has shown time and time again that he has what it takes to play with the big boys.
Character defining moment: With his fish-telepathy stolen, Aquaman is beaten down and forced into a piranha-infested pool. After having his left hand eaten off, Aquaman sticks a harpoon into his stub and goes back into the fight. Now that’s hard core.
Way to get back on the top: After a brief guest stint on the WB’s “Smallville,” Aquaman is slated for his own show on the new network CW. Tentatively titled “Mercy Reef,” this show will downplay the heroics in favor of a clean cut, teen friendly action drama.
In better news, the fictional James Cameron-directed Aquaman movie shown on HBO’s “Entourage” has sparked interest in a real big budget blockbuster.
Archie Andrews
Who: Perhaps Earth’s greatest hero, Archie Andrews is in a constant war between his heart and his head. On one hand, he can date Veronica, a wealthy, brunette beauty with a mean streak one mile long. On the other hand, there’s Betty, a blonde bombshell in the body of the girl next door. While she may not be as exotic as Veronica, Betty is as loyal as Lassie. Archie, where are you?
Character defining moment: Mistaken for a drug dealer, Archie finds himself on the wrong side of the gun of the Punisher, Marvel’s resident sociopathic vigilante. That’s right. Marvel and Archie Comics once published a comic that saw Archie versus the Punisher. Who won? That would be telling. Suffice to say, it’s hard core.
Way to get back on the top: Archie will never go away. Say what you will about the lazy jokes and the sheer amount of puns per issue, Archie Comics is as American as apple pie and capitalism. While he may grow and change with the times, Archie is one redheaded stepchild you can’t get rid of.