Hudson Kraus withdraws injunction, judicial hearing canceled

Photo by Chris Swann

Senior Student Body President Hudson Kraus speaks with Senior Executive VP of Operations Grayson Sims at the Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion) 

Texas A&M Student Body President Hudson Kraus released a statement on Sept. 19 stating he withdrew his injunction from the Judicial Court. Now, the Student Government Association, or SGA, impeachment proceedings will continue as planned, with an official date for the senate trial pending.

“I sought this injunction because this process has been unfair and, frankly, wrong,” the statement reads. “… I wish to restore the bonds of peace that would lead the Student Government Association back to selflessly serving Aggies, and I trust that others are interested in doing the same.”

Kraus said Student Senate members called for his impeachment at the beginning of September and that he did not publicly respond out of respect for the student body, SGA and the university.

“However, unfair and inaccurate information has now been published in the media, and I can no longer stand by without a response,” the statement reads.

Kraus said there were some key points he wanted to clear up in his statement.

“Impeachment proceedings were brought forth by a certain group of individuals in the Student Senate, an independent student organization, and not by Texas A&M University or any member of the administration,” the statement reads.

At the Aug. 30 Student Senate meeting, Kraus nominated his brother for the vice president of campus improvement position, a cabinet spot that required confirmation from the senate.

At the same meeting, Constituency Affairs Chair Marcus Glass said the description for the official qualifications had been altered by Kraus that morning, changing the position to an entry-level position.

“In fact, it turns out there was an edit made to the actual descriptions at 11:30 a.m. today,” Glass said at the Aug. 30 meeting. “So, what does that mean for us? Do we disenfranchise the student body by changing what the qualifications were originally for this position?”

Documents obtained by The Battalion show the edits made to the cabinet position’s qualifications on the morning of the senate meeting.

While the initial version said previous SGA experience is recommended but not required, the edited version said the position was entry-level and that SGA experience is not required.

Kraus also added a sentence saying an individual’s resume does not matter as much as their “attitude toward service and their personality.”

In his statement, Kraus said it was within his “purview as [student body president] per the SGA bylaws” to change position qualifications.

Because Kraus withdrew his injunction, A&M’s Judicial Court canceled the hearing scheduled for tonight, Sept. 19.

Chief Justice Sawyer Bagley said he did not want to make an official comment to maintain neutrality.

“The Judicial Court, in pursuant of our neutral stance within SGA and our responsibilities and duties, will be unable to provide any commentary or statement regarding the withdrawal of the case,” Bagley wrote in a statement to The Battalion. “The relevant parties have been notified of the withdrawal, and pursuant to the Judicial Court Bylaws, they were made aware that the Writ of Certiorari and the Writ of Injunction have been made null and void by the Judicial Court. The Court has not been notified of anything regarding the impeachment nor has any request been made at this time regarding the impeachment procedures or hearing.”

In a statement to The Battalion, Speaker of the Senate Andrew Applewhite commented on the proceedings.

“I’d like to once again reaffirm my faith in the senate,” Applewhite said. “As the speaker of the senate, I can assure everyone that the Student Senate supports the Aggie Honor Code and each Core Value of this great institution: Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. The senate will continue to support and embody those, and I have complete faith in the senate to make the right decisions in order to serve the student body as soon as possible.”