Keepers of the holiday Spirit

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

The quad was transformed into a holiday wonderland with lights, decorations, and even a few Parson Mounted Calvary donkeys

This Sunday, the Corps of Cadets will host its fifth annual Holiday on the Quad festival, featuring games, lights and pictures with Santa and Reveille. 
The celebration will take place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Holiday on the Quad is a Corps-led event that is held to kick off the holidays and raise money for March of Dimes. The Quad will be adorned with holiday decorations and Christmas lights. There will also be hot chocolate and an opportunity to play with shelter dogs.
Corps public relations officer and sociology senior Yarielka Arrieta Batista said cadets play a big part in the success of the event, from the booths run by each outfit  to their hard work setting up decorations. 
“Each outfit booth gets to show what they’re about and just incorporates Christmas in their own way,” Batista said. “The cadets themselves go out there every day this week setting up lights. It’s pretty big.”
Michelle Luu, university studies senior and director of Holiday on the Quad, said she calls herself the “head elf” of the festival. Luu said the Quad arches are especially beautiful with the lights on display, and officers will even go so far as to dress up as the Grinch and Santa Claus.  
“It is a really fun event and also a fun way for the cadets to de-stress,” Luu said. “It’s just a week before exams and gets everyone in the holiday spirits. All of the proceeds go to March of Dimes as well.”
March of Dimes is a nonprofit that works to prevent birth defects, premature births and infant mortality. Each year, cadets raise around $100,000 or more for the organization.  
Corps public relations sergeant and political science junior Brandon Kreikemeier said the Corps has a passion for holding festivals and charitable events like Holiday on the Quad. 
“We just like opening up the doors and having more community interaction with people,” Kreikemeier said. “It’s a great kick-off to the holiday season.”