Knoll in the lead at Big 12 Championship

Texas A&M junior Ashley Knoll, the No. 2 ranked golfer in the country according to Golfstat, fired a first round 69 to take a three-stroke lead at the Big 12 Championships in Lincoln, Neb.
“I felt pretty good about the round,” Knoll said. “I thought my chipping and putting were great and it was a good round. I just need to keep playing my game. I thought my course management was good, and I think the key to this course is course management, so I am going to keep that as my strategy.”
Knoll’s 3-under-par 69 is the lowest score by an Aggie in a conference tournament, besting 70 which was shot by Isabelle Rosberg in the 1997 Big 12 Championship.
Knoll and her Aggie teammates are currently in second place alone in the team competition, one-stroke behind tournament leader Oklahoma State.
Head coach Jeannie Sutherland said she is pleased with her team’s position after the first round.
“Overall, I’m very pleased with our play today,” Sutherland said. “On the first day, you just want to put yourself in good position. We started the day well and were very focused on the front nine, but a few holes on the back got us.”
Tuesday will feature the second round of the tournament and it will conclude on Wednesday.
For the rest of the A&M scores on Monday, plus team and individual results, refer to Sidelines.
*The A&M Athletic Department contributed to this article.